Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
weird but i let me girlfriend out of the car and i tried to honk at her as a joke but there was no noise, i kept trying it but nothing, i havnt really used it since ive had it which has been since last april so not even a year yet..

i can push the middle of the steering wheel down no problem but there is no response/honk

what could the problem be, just so i have an idea instead of going into a shop blindfolded

(had to put CAR horn, so no one thinks its the other personally horn) lol

thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Also check your horn connections, they are right at the front of the grill.

Follow the simple flow chart.

Use your manual to locate your horn fuse and relay. Both are located in the engine compartment fuse and relay box below the battery.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The are available to me from Toyota's technical website. Just type in what we call a SPIN ID and we have access to all the vehicles information.

techinfo.toyota.com

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
yep, there's not much to it, a switch in the steering wheel and a relay. you can try swapping the horn relay with the one next to it for a test(EFI). Of that doesn't work, make sure the horns are mounted tight because the caseing and mounting screw serves as the negative. If that's not it then you may have a broken clockspring in steering wheel.

·
Registered
500 Posts
check that stuff and put hella horns in i did easy and loud

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thnx everyone, ill check it out tomorrow.. right now its a bit too dark and way too cold out lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
was driving this morning and a light turned on it my dash.. could it be the horn? still not working and the symbol was a car and looked like it was a LIGHT lights cause of the lines shooting out of the car, it was in the RPM gauge

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
was driving this morning and a light turned on it my dash.. could it be the horn? still not working and the symbol was a car and looked like it was a LIGHT lights cause of the lines shooting out of the car, it was in the RPM gauge
No, actually there is no malfunction indicator for the horn. What you're describing sounds like the "rear light out" indicator. It can be either of the main taillights, trunk circle taillights, high mount middle stop lamp, or spoiler if equipped. If you turn off the car and restart it, if the malfunction light stays off until you hit the brakes, then you know it could be one of the five stop bulb filaments. If it comes on immediately when you turn in the parking/head lights, then the smaller filament is bad in one of the four taillights.

were you able to look into some of the things mentioned for the horns? mounting is tight, single wire connector properly secured at horn, swap horn relay with EFI relay, bad fuse(could be caused by poor horn mounting bolts)?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, actually there is no malfunction indicator for the horn. What you're describing sounds like the "rear light out" indicator. It can be either of the main taillights, trunk circle taillights, high mount middle stop lamp, or spoiler if equipped. If you turn off the car and restart it, if the malfunction light stays off until you hit the brakes, then you know it could be one of the five stop bulb filaments. If it comes on immediately when you turn in the parking/head lights, then the smaller filament is bad in one of the four taillights.

were you able to look into some of the things mentioned for the horns? mounting is tight, single wire connector properly secured at horn, swap horn relay with EFI relay, bad fuse(could be caused by poor horn mounting bolts)?
for the light, it only goes on and stays on when i put the car in reverse, but i checked and both my bulbs work... not sure the date but early december i replaced the oem reverse lights for bright LEDs... but i have never seen this light until today

and im going to give the horn situation a look later on today when i can

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
for the light, it only goes on and stays on when i put the car in reverse, but i checked and both my bulbs work... not sure the date but early december i replaced the oem reverse lights for bright LEDs... but i have never seen this light until today

and im going to give the horn situation a look later on today when i can
The current sensor for that malfunction does not monitor the two back up lights, only the stop lamps or rear parking lights. Try to start the car and see if the light is out(resets every time). Then just tap your brake pedal and see if it comes on. I'm surprised you didn't have a problem when you put LED bulbs in because they draw a lot less current. You definitely have a bulb out or a loose/corroded connector.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The current sensor for that malfunction does not monitor the two back up lights, only the stop lamps or rear parking lights. Try to start the car and see if the light is out(resets every time). Then just tap your brake pedal and see if it comes on. I'm surprised you didn't have a problem when you put LED bulbs in because they draw a lot less current. You definitely have a bulb out or a loose/corroded connector.
tomorrow morning im going to get someone to push on the brakes and im going to see... the reverse work perfectly and the parking lights work as well, maybe just the sensor, but god damn is the light on the dash bright, needs to go! :p

the cars going to the shop tomorrow anyway to get some things checked, ill keep you posted.. but when i did the install of the reverse lights there was ZERO problems, the LEDs only seemed to cause problems with euro cars

its a 2003 by the way

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
tomorrow morning im going to get someone to push on the brakes and im going to see... the reverse work perfectly and the parking lights work as well, maybe just the sensor, but god damn is the light on the dash bright, needs to go! :p

the cars going to the shop tomorrow anyway to get some things checked, ill keep you posted.. but when i did the install of the reverse lights there was ZERO problems, the LEDs only seemed to cause problems with euro cars

its a 2003 by the way
Yea, I agree the light is annoying, but I'd rather know then to have the police pull me over because of a light out lol. I'm betting it's one of your brake lights, and since you had no issues when the LED's were installed, hopefully the current sensor is good. When you start your car in the morning, I'm assuming the malfunction light will be off until you hit the brake pedal. I remember when i had a brake light out, I was convinced it wasn't a bulb because they all looked like they were working. After several glances, I was wrong, bad stop lamp filament lol.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
All your bulbs may work fine but one might be on the way out. Ive had that issue before.

Usually the bulb will work 70% of the time but still trigger the dash light. As for your horns.. You could come to the west end and I'd check it for you at no cost :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got my dad to press on the brake as i took a look... the driver side BRAKE light wasnt working, but then i told him to put it in reverse so i could check those out, and the light started to work... ive probably started the car 6 times since then and the light on the dash is gone... weird lol but ill see if it pops up again, if so i believe its the brake light driver side :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
So back to the horn issue. When I press on horn on steering wheel, I can hear the relay clicking.....no horn sound just relay clicking. I tried swapping wit relay ryt next to it, same thing. Check to see if all three horns were secure, all tight. All fuses good. I even got my test light, grounded the horn to the ground terminal on battery, put test light on power terminal of battery and touched the horn prong and it lit up....so horns good. I assume haha help?!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
So back to the horn issue. When I press on horn on steering wheel, I can hear the relay clicking.....no horn sound just relay clicking. I tried swapping wit relay ryt next to it, same thing. Check to see if all three horns were secure, all tight. All fuses good. I even got my test light, grounded the horn to the ground terminal on battery, put test light on power terminal of battery and touched the horn prong and it lit up....so horns good. I assume haha help?!
Since you've swapped the relay, fuse is good as well as mounting bolts, and you get +12v to ground on your test light then it would have to be the horns. You can run a jumper wire directly from the battery positive to the one wire connection on the horns(which is the positive wire feed) and that would prove it's the horns. Good thing it isn't the clockspring. Try each horn like that as a test.

It's a rather simple circuit, when the steering wheel switch is pushed the relay closes allowing power to flow through it to the horns. The mounting bolt serves as ground. That's it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts