Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know I am going to get flamed for this but W/E...

Im interested in the is300, g35, or STI. Yes, I know that this is an is300 enthusiats site. I have been browsing this site for about a year and know that you guys know a lot about cars.

I want to buy this car with less than 30k miles and no more than $25k. Is this possible for these cars?

Am I going to be raped with insurance?

And yes I am interested in performance and looks.

I'm leaning towards the is300, but wanted you guys to give me your opinion. I really can't end up with the 99' taurus in my driveway, please help! ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
i'm assuming ur parents are buying it right? they're gonna want something reliable, so telling them Lexus is a Toyota under it all and its going to last forever as long as you maintain it right. But Since you are 17 and prolly don't deserve an IS (thats a joke bro) get an 86 Corolla and learn to drive. Its still a Toyota so you can try that reliable route again.

·
Deus Vult
7,023 Posts
Even with your parents as primaries on the insurance, they're still gonna get hit for having a 17-year old on the plan for a sport/luxury vehicle (STi is more sport obviously).

Even posting that you are a 17-year old with a car like the STi/G35/IS300 is going to get you a lot of negative remarks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
dude no offense but i think you are setting yourself too high for a car at 17because not only will insurance rape you but also look at you are 17 and most people wreck there car within the first 5 years of driving.

obviously you have a decent amount to spend on a car
i would highly recommend a 4 banger for your first car to get a feel of the road and especially other drivers and since you want somthing sporty i would recommend either a honda prelude,subaru impezza (older bodystyle) an s14 (240 sx) i know too many people start with a corolla of a civic(too many of them thou) there are alot of choices but the couple i mentioned are easily upgradable but with more hp and torque you need to be well aware of you driving i see too many times people kill themselves in cars.

but within your price range you can even get a e36 m3 and fd3s an acura legend a sc300 a acura tl-s

i am not trying to say this spcifly with you but is also meant for anyone your age.however good a sports car is anyone your age needs experience before you drive a faster and sporty car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont worry I went through alot of flaming when I got my RX8 2 months after I turned 16. It is quite annoying.

You wont find a G35 for less than $27,000 I think inless it is either really messed up or it just has tons of miles. Plus it has a smaller backseat than an RX8, and its pretty annoying when I have 4 people in my RX8.

The STI will have a massacre with your insurance. My RX8 is Automatic and its almost $3,700 a year.

The IS300 is your best bet. Since it is a Toyota Altezza 4dr 5 seater Sport Compact Sedan your insurance wont kill you. Plus you get the comfortable ride. I recommend the IS300 over the G35 & STI.

I am trading in my RX8 soon enough to get an IS300.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Diabolic Serenity said:
The STI will have a massacre with your insurance. My RX8 is Automatic and its almost $3,700 a year.

I am trading in my RX8 soon enough to get an IS300.
OMFG, your insurance is like almost as much as my monthly car payment.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do understand what you guys are saying....

My only problem is that the taurus in my driveway blows, theres probably mods, but c'mon its a damn taurus. Another problem I have is, I always have to get the best of what ever I'm buying... I for some reason wouldn't be able to get a WRX...

I am interested in the integra or the prelude.

Whats your thoughts on repo cars?

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
you can geta clean title is300 for less then $20000, but expect 50000 miles, maybe more. exrider is selling his, $18000 only. its on good shape. check the for sale forum. is300 can easily go 200000 miles without major incidents, just keep up with normal maintenance intervals. if your in ny, you will def get raped by insurance. is300 is one of the highest insured cars around ny,nj, its up there with the viper and such vehicles.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
hmm is tihs ur first car? actually my friend just turned 17 and his parents got him a celica GTS and he''s loving it. theyre quick little things...and toyota engine = reliable.

he was stuck between an GSR and vtec prelude for $9K but he found a GTS for $8K w/ salvage title..just cuz it was a repo car...but its a deal...$8K for an 03 celica w/ like 30K miles on it..its black..

i never looked into celicas at all but if u tihnk about it its a decent first car..

-Aaron

·
Registered
661 Posts
Good luck with whatever car you choose, be sure to drive safely and carefully.

The Lancer Evolution can be had in the low 20's, and I was quoted $400/year cheaper insurance than I pay on the IS300.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
JAEohEN said:
[napoleon] LUUUUUUHCKY [/napoleon]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA SLEDGE HAMMERR LOL :cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have you considered a Scion TC?
The Scion is basically a Toyota so you will get the reliability, good fuel economy, etc.
There is also a huge aftermarket for the TC. Unlike the G35 or IS300, modding the TC won't cost alot. Also, you can pick one up new for under $20,000.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I was just about to post that, probably going to end up getting that. But can you please tell me why a 20,000 car new is going for the same used?

But don't worry I will be apart of this family in a few years!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Someone made a very valid point about getting a cheaper ride for a new driver. A brand new car for a 16,17 year old, will more than likely get beat on and you will hit something as much as you want to say you won't, you will b/c most young guys think they know it all when it, especially when it comes to driving.

I had two beaters before I bought my own car, I was 17 and bought a 94 Prelude Si. Still have it to this day, except it's a huge headache. I would steer clear of 92-96 Prelude generation. Unbelieveable problems with oil leaks and other fluid leaks. Every Prelude driver I've run across has had multiple problems as well, except mine still runs at 140k. Remember older honda's will rust like you won't believe.

I'm like you, as much as I love is300, the more I think about stretching my money to buy a used one, pay more insurance and more gas. I drive 350 miles each week for work and continue to buy premium gas is a killer. Which I am thinking about getting something more practical like a Mazda 3.

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
get an early-mid 90's integra.

its a 4-banger, very safe, fast enough for whatever you need, and can be modded for both looks and performance. And it wont kill you on insurance (the IS will !!! ).

Besides, I dont see why 17 year old kids want the IS as a first car. LEarn to drive on a shit beater, and upgrade later. That way not only will you learn to respect the car when you get it, but will also actually know how to control a car under all conditions.

A 200+ hp/torque car is hardly ideal for a newb to learn on. And yes, if you have been driving for anything less than 2-3 years FULL TIME , imo you are a learner.

Be smart today, and you will enjoy your IS more when you buy it a coupla years later.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts