Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its happened twice now.. I'm driving along and the car dies..
No rough idle, i'm coasting, then I notice the power steering is gone and the lights are all on, on the dash. All I've done is install the TBKO ESK. I've double checked and it is correctly installed... I even have the unit off and only turn it on when I know i'm going to run someone at a specified time and place, like Carlsbad.
I did notice that my CEL came on too, so I'm re-setting the ECU as I type this post up.
Any suggestions as to why this happened? My theories are;
1. I have an issue with my battery charge level and it might lead to
a new battery and maybe my electrical system (alternator)

Comments? [email protected] care to chime in?

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
take a pic of the wiring

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
go get the code checked

rllinghardis300 said:
Its happened twice now.. I'm driving along and the car dies..
No rough idle, i'm coasting, then I notice the power steering is gone and the lights are all on, on the dash. All I've done is install the TBKO ESK. I've double checked and it is correctly installed... I even have the unit off and only turn it on when I know i'm going to run someone at a specified time and place, like Carlsbad.
I did notice that my CEL came on too, so I'm re-setting the ECU as I type this post up.
Any suggestions as to why this happened? My theories are;
1. I have an issue with my battery charge level and it might lead to
a new battery and maybe my electrical system (alternator)

Comments? [email protected] care to chime in?

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
'Knock-Off AEM Intake'
This is your problem.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
TeCKis300 said:
rllinghardis300 said:
'Knock-Off AEM Intake'
This is your problem.
AH. good find.

Had someone done their research when buying an intake, they would have known that the AEM intake causes stalling when the condensor fan kicks on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I did the same thing to my SRT Intake, I took out the turbulance plate in the heatshield, basically, if you coast in idle at high speeds (45+mph), too muc air is being forced in your intake w/o the compensating gas, your car hiccups and stalls.... you do gain a few extra HP on the high end.

no need for a code check, everythings fine, its just your intake thats all.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
ok i have the same problem (sh!ty intake and stalling) what intakes dont cause stalling? do the RMM intakes or anyother brand have this problem?
Thanks
Brett

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Nline6 said:
ok i have the same problem (sh!ty intake and stalling) what intakes dont cause stalling? do the RMM intakes or anyother brand have this problem?
Thanks
Brett
Get SRT or PLP

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TeCKis300 said:
rllinghardis300 said:
'Knock-Off AEM Intake'
This is your problem.
This never happened when I had the 'Knock-off AEM',
I've had the SRT installed for about a few days now. I just installed the TBKO ESK 2.0 last night. So its not the "Knock-Off AEM" as it is not being used, plus like I said it never happened during the Injen, "Knock-Off PLP" or "Knock-Off AEM".

Dirty OS2 sensor? maybe.. they do look foul... Is there a way to clean these?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
djhobbes said:
I did the same thing to my SRT Intake, I took out the turbulance plate in the heatshield, basically, if you coast in idle at high speeds (45+mph), too muc air is being forced in your intake w/o the compensating gas, your car hiccups and stalls.... you do gain a few extra HP on the high end.

no need for a code check, everythings fine, its just your intake thats all.
You got!!, Dots for you.. I noticed that it did happen after I mashed the gas and as I was slowing down to a light or stop sign, then it died... Since I had the RACE ECU already, I ordered the piping from Marken. However, and it was understandable, Marken had outstanding orders for SRT Intakes and didn't want to break any sets up. Pending orders had priority and I believe ECU's and HeatShields were on back order. So I received the piping and not the heat shield. It runs awesome except for what happens during DJHOBBES example. So gonna have to watch it until I get the heatshield.
Thanks again Hobbes..

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
you can make yourself a temp heatshield with a piece of plastic. Everytime the fan goes on, it blows air into the filter which causes it to stall.

You can cut up a sled or something. Tie it to the frame of the fan and the intake and you'll be fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.