Lexus IS Forum banner

Car Drives Horrible

944 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Crazycatman 
#1 ·
Not sure if this has been discussed before and the problem might be something stupid simple. But recently my is300 has been terrible to drive on the highway or most speeds over 60 mph.

The car likes to "sway" back and forth in my lane and feels rather unstable when driving at highway speeds. It feels like the car is off-balance in a way, such as the car would sway to the let side of the lane and will take a couple small movements of the steering wheel to be back on track.

I have BC coilovers with no preload rear an .25" preload set up front, shortened OEM spindles and Figs highsteer knuckles. Is this just a cause of the steering knuckles or am i looking at a deeper problem (inner tie rods, rack bushings, etc)? I never noticed this issue prior to the knuckles but I am doubtful it is the sole cause of my problem. Thank you!

#6 ·
so sounds like those bushings are new... you can check for inner rod play just jack the front and check it. maybe your alignment got out of wack after hitting something or a pot hole. replacing the steering rack bushing def cleans up the slop. gl hf

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Not sure if this has been discussed before and the problem might be something stupid simple. But recently my is300 has been terrible to drive on the highway or most speeds over 60 mph.

The car likes to "sway" back and forth in my lane and feels rather unstable when driving at highway speeds. It feels like the car is off-balance in a way, such as the car would sway to the let side of the lane and will take a couple small movements of the steering wheel to be back on track.

I have BC coilovers with no preload rear an .25" preload set up front, shortened OEM spindles and Figs highsteer knuckles. Is this just a cause of the steering knuckles or am i looking at a deeper problem (inner tie rods, rack bushings, etc)? I never noticed this issue prior to the knuckles but I am doubtful it is the sole cause of my problem. Thank you!
You need to have some preload in the coil-overs. Also have the alignment done after.

#11 ·
I have stock springs and some "Tenkis" or what ever, I don't know anything about the suspension on mine. Except, its not lowered (stock height minus like half a inch, I like being able to not slow down over speed bumps), it's nice and has new control and tie rods.

It's stable to 115 (highest I've gotten so far) and has shot bushings in front, and shot diff bushings. I don't know if them being cracked = shot? Anyways -- always make sure to put grease in the top and lower 2 tie rod and ball joints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.