Lexus IS Forum banner

Car&Driver review of CLS

1K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  EricK 
I agree with EricK on the assessment of exactly what the CL-S is. It is a sporty luxury car whereas the IS300 and 3 series are luxurious sporty cars. There is QUITE a difference between those two types of cars. I haven't seen this review yet. I've been a subscriber to C&D for YEARS (hey!! where's my issue!) and they have always seemed extremely biased to performance, even for an enthusiast magazine. I don't think however, that the CL-S being a sporty luxury car is going to have anything to do with its demise however. Acura did its homework and targeted the correct market... empty nester baby boomers. You wouldn't know it from an internet car forum, where the avg owner is in his/her low 30s but from what I see on the street this car is far and away being driven by the older generation. Luxury is far far far more important to those folks than is sportiness. And so far, the car is selling quite well and slightly above Acura's projections. I think this one is going to be around for quite awhile.

The magazine is wrong. The CL-S is NOT govenor limited. It is drag limited to 147mph per Acura. A couple of members have had it to 150mph though. One thing is for sure... it is drag limited to somewhere between 145-150mph. Maybe the weight (3510lbs) has something to do with the top speed not being higher??? I dunno... it's not like 147mph isn't pretty damn fast!?!?! I doubt I'll ever see anything over 140mph. I did that once in my CL-S for kicks. yippee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.