Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see the review of the CLS in Car and Driver. They tried hard to like it, but did not think it was a sporting car. I was surprized how hard on it they were. What are the thoughts on this article from the Acura guests?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I think the Acura CL-S could be compared to the BMW 850i in this respect. They are both misunderstood cars. When the BMW 850i came out, Car & Driver compared it to the Porsche 928 GTS back in 1993 and the Bimmer sorely lost. No kidding, BMW intended the 4200 lb 850i to be a Luxury "sporty" coupe and not a sports car. The heavy 850i did 0-60 in 7.3 seconds (Car & Driver, 1991) and held .80g on the skid pad, whereas the Porsche trouched it in virtually every category (which it should have, being a sports car). (on a side note remember 928 S4 was much less sporty than 928 GTS).......... Anyways this is what led to the 850i's failure (which was no longer imported here after 1997). That car should have come here as a convertible only, then maybe it wouldn't have failed..... The CL-s is similar in the fact that it's more of a luxury sports coupe than a sports car. It's misunderstood and its askewed reviews by people and magazines could lead to its failure...
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with EricK on the assessment of exactly what the CL-S is. It is a sporty luxury car whereas the IS300 and 3 series are luxurious sporty cars. There is QUITE a difference between those two types of cars. I haven't seen this review yet. I've been a subscriber to C&D for YEARS (hey!! where's my issue!) and they have always seemed extremely biased to performance, even for an enthusiast magazine. I don't think however, that the CL-S being a sporty luxury car is going to have anything to do with its demise however. Acura did its homework and targeted the correct market... empty nester baby boomers. You wouldn't know it from an internet car forum, where the avg owner is in his/her low 30s but from what I see on the street this car is far and away being driven by the older generation. Luxury is far far far more important to those folks than is sportiness. And so far, the car is selling quite well and slightly above Acura's projections. I think this one is going to be around for quite awhile.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I was surprized at was that the top speed was 146. I realized that with 260hp that it would probably be quicker than the IS, but did not think they would set the govenor so high.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I am really surprized because the Acura guys are quiet. Do you think they went to the store to get a copy of the magazine?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by croddy:
One thing I was surprized at was that the top speed was 146. I realized that with 260hp that it would probably be quicker than the IS, but did not think they would set the govenor so high.
Can you confirm that the 146mph top speed is electronically governed and not drag limited at its top speed. I wonder what the drag co efficiency of the CL-s is.
Eric....
OT Side note The supercharged Jaguar XJR (with 370hp & 387 lb/ft of torque) is limited by drag at 154 mph... (info from C/D). Beautiful shape that's unfriendly to the air at high speeds.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Now I am really surprized because the Acura guys are quiet. Do you think they went to the store to get a copy of the magazine?
We "Acura Guys" have already known this for months. It is a LUXURY sport coupe that is fairly quick in a straight line. I say fairly quick because after close to seven months of driving it, I'd like my next car to be at least a second faster 0-60. Can you say M3? Make some suspension mods, and it completely changes the character of the car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the magazine right here: it says 146 mph (governor limited). I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, though.

Jeff

I am 90% sure I read it was govenor limited. The magazine is at home.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
strangely, the cl-s will hit it's top speed in 4th gear; 5th seems too overdriven to hold the speed against airflow resistance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The magazine is wrong. The CL-S is NOT govenor limited. It is drag limited to 147mph per Acura. A couple of members have had it to 150mph though. One thing is for sure... it is drag limited to somewhere between 145-150mph. Maybe the weight (3510lbs) has something to do with the top speed not being higher??? I dunno... it's not like 147mph isn't pretty damn fast!?!?! I doubt I'll ever see anything over 140mph. I did that once in my CL-S for kicks. yippee.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree 140+ is fast! I have gone 130 in my car, it was smooth, but I do not expect to go any faster in the near future. Hats off though to the CL-s. I have to say, it is faster than the IS.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I personally don't like car and drivers reviews
they always suck up to the American & German auto makers (especially the american auto makers)

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Not necessarily... Car & Driver loves Lexus. They have given the LS400 1st place in three different comparisions since 1990. They have given the GS400 2nd place (just under the BMW 540i)... They have given the SC300 1st place in one comparo and the SC400 1st place in two comparos they did since 1992.....
Eric....

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And my wife thinks I am full of car stats. Erik, you are unbelievable. I have watched this forum for a while and at first I thought you were full of it, but I think you have proved me wrong. You sure know your cars. By the way, Does your car have a stability control system in it? What are your thoughts on these?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess it depends on what magazine you read. I have not read this article yet, but I will soon.
If I recall Road & Track compared the CL-S and the 328i back in June. The scale was tipped in favor of the CL-S. Again I thought this was an unfair comparison. Two different cars in two different classes.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Actually it was Motor Trend, and it WAS a somewhat one-sided, unfair comparison. It was just amusing to me that they skipped the sport-package on the 328Ci, but went for the 5-speed auto. That just seems contradictory to me, because when they compared the 328 to the IS the very next month, they tested a 5 speed MANUAL

Justy
99 328i

Originally posted by tuleman:
I guess it depends on what magazine you read. I have not read this article yet, but I will soon.
If I recall Road & Track compared the CL-S and the 328i back in June. The scale was tipped in favor of the CL-S. Again I thought this was an unfair comparison. Two different cars in two different classes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
12 Participants
EricK
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing