Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this post is more for the car guys that love detailing. I have used this company for the past 5 years. WWW.Griotsgarage.com. I have used Zymol, mothers and can tell you that no one offers more for you car then Griots. If you have the chance check out the Best of show wax. I use it every 3 monthes ( I skip the 6 month to use Griots Carnuba). I wax inbetween using the Speed shine. With the use of the california car mop thing I cut my cleaning times down dramatically( i wax more, but my cars have a wet look kinda like show room but better almost all the time) The items I recommend are the Lint free Wipe down towels ( won't scratch paint). The Griots car wash is great, it really feels slippery like they say, if it doesnt get stains out nothing will. The rubber hose nozzel is great, cut back water flow and gentle run water across the car and you'll cut drying times by half( if you cut back the waterflow and smoothly run the water from top to bottom water will beed right off), its safer then using metal nozzles near a car( accidents happen). The glass polish is great although windex is just as good.I hope this helps you guys out. Check the site it has a ton of other cool stuff, from creepers to cool wash buckets which keep brushes and towels suspended above the water when not used( good for not picking up dirt that falls to the bottom of bucket).
Mike V

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a question regarding detailing. My neighbor has been using this detailer for years. The detailer comes to his house every month or two. I don't know anything about detailing. My concern is, what facts about detailing I should know. What questions I should ask him. Is there a particular product that is good/safe for my car(I have a black IS300). And also is there a method of doing a good detailing? He quoted me $75.00 for the inside and out. I asked him if that includes the car wash and his answer is "I'm basically a detailer, if the car is really dirty I will take it out." What does he mean by that? Do i have to wash my car first?
Any info will help a lot.

BTW, he's a mobile detailer, in case you miss it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One more thing. How many times should you get your car detailed? My car is not a show car, it's just an everyday car.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
if the detailer is good, then it will show by his repeat customers. if your neighbor uses him frequently, then it's sort of safe to assume that he is at least decent...i don't know how well your neighbor is with cars. why don't you take a look at your neighbor's car and see how the finish product looks? i've seen bad detailers "burn" paint and do really bad jobs. those guys usually do not stay in business very long. all i do know is that the really good guys usually are really booked...i mean, sometimes weeks and weeks in advance. also, $75 for a complete detail job sounds cheap. there's guy in the bay area (norcal) that charge way more than that.

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop
90 Integra
86 Corolla GTS (AE86)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't detial to regularly. i tend to try to avoid cleaning the car. Keeping a protective coat of wax and wipin the car with scratch free cloth ( No blends, most be 10% pure cotton, polyester can develop fine scratch on a car.On a black car those scratches really show up) 75 bucks does seem cheap. I would ask what produts he uses for pre cleaning, cleaning, and protection. Then see what he uses to clean the car. Your typical t shirt is not always the best, the cheaper t shirts use blends in the stiches which may develop fine scratches on ur car. I would first look into using a shop they tend to be pretty good. Where as " some guy" usually doesn't really car what the finished product is as long as he has his money. I won't even let dealers clean my car they could care less, and I heard some real horror stories.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not sure about Griots coz' I've never had a chance to use it but for Zymol, I have been using it for years. Note that they make the most expensive wax in the world (US 1500+ per can).

Which Zymol did you actually use ? The all-in-one Zymol polish ? This is way different than the actual Zymol products. For the actual Zymol, you have to use a pre-wax cleaner called HD-Cleanse, and the apply the real Zymol wax. The choice of Zymol wax could be JAPON, CARBON, CREME, etc. It could be CONCOURS, etc. The most expensive wax is actually called VINTAGE.

So I really don't know which Zymol you are actually comparing..

My 2 cents.

Andy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was speaking of off the shelf zymol and some zymol you see in mags. The Griots product is something you should give a try. you state $1500 for a wax product, whats in it gold bars????. Griots is affordable and they honestly car since its a relatively small company compared to Mothers or Zymol. They provide you with every possible thing or cleaner you will ever need. The stuff isnt that expensive either. I started this year by purchasing a complete kit for 179 but you have to see what you get for that price
----The Collection includes our Yellow Wash Bucket; Boar's Hair Brush( great on rims, they say its safe for paint also but I wouldnt try it because black cars show scratches easily) or Sheep's Skin Wash Mitt( great with the car wash very slippery, it glides over you paint without being abrasive); Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax®( great and hides fine scratches), Paint Cleaning Clay( best clay I ever used, pulles dirt off safely), Fine Hand Polish, Vinyl & Rubber Dressing, Car Wash, Interior Cleaner( Simple GHreen is stronger, but you need to dilute it and watch carefully), Wheel Cleaner, Speed Shine®( used as a quick wax), Window Cleaner(I use it frequently, they say wipers will last slightly longer ,but I have no data on that.) and 4 Finest Sprayers; 50 Lint Free Windshield Towels(Great newspapers are good to, but I get less dirt residue with the towels); 2 Three Finger Detail Mitts, 2 Blue Detail Sponges, 4 Cotton Polishing Pads, 1 Foam Wax Pad, 10 Cotton Polishing Cloths( wont scratch) and your choice of 2 Dry Towels or a Synthetic Chamois( great chanois does smell like others after a few monthes of use). I try to get new stuff yearly so 179 for the year is not that bad for a Paint Safe product which helps me avoid scratchs, spider webing, and keep my cars show quality at all times

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by NYIS300:
I was speaking of off the shelf zymol and some zymol you see in mags. The Griots product is something you should give a try. you state $1500 for a wax product, whats in it gold bars????. Griots is affordable and they honestly car since its a relatively small company compared to Mothers or Zymol. They provide you with every possible thing or cleaner you will ever need. The stuff isnt that expensive either. I started this year by purchasing a complete kit for 179 but you have to see what you get for that price
----The Collection includes our Yellow Wash Bucket; Boar's Hair Brush( great on rims, they say its safe for paint also but I wouldnt try it because black cars show scratches easily) or Sheep's Skin Wash Mitt( great with the car wash very slippery, it glides over you paint without being abrasive); Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax®( great and hides fine scratches), Paint Cleaning Clay( best clay I ever used, pulles dirt off safely), Fine Hand Polish, Vinyl & Rubber Dressing, Car Wash, Interior Cleaner( Simple GHreen is stronger, but you need to dilute it and watch carefully), Wheel Cleaner, Speed Shine®( used as a quick wax), Window Cleaner(I use it frequently, they say wipers will last slightly longer ,but I have no data on that.) and 4 Finest Sprayers; 50 Lint Free Windshield Towels(Great newspapers are good to, but I get less dirt residue with the towels); 2 Three Finger Detail Mitts, 2 Blue Detail Sponges, 4 Cotton Polishing Pads, 1 Foam Wax Pad, 10 Cotton Polishing Cloths( wont scratch) and your choice of 2 Dry Towels or a Synthetic Chamois( great chanois does smell like others after a few monthes of use). I try to get new stuff yearly so 179 for the year is not that bad for a Paint Safe product which helps me avoid scratchs, spider webing, and keep my cars show quality at all times
I think (hope) that is $15.00, not $1500

·
Registered
424 Posts
Haha, no gold bars. But Zymol wax has the highest carnauba content by volum in the world (61%).
http://www.zymol.com

I have been using it for years and I am very satisfied with the results.

The Griots isn't available in Canada.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
AndyL
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing