Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow board members:

I need some help, I am planing on going on a road trip in Nov. and am currently looking for a protective bra cover for the front end of the car the rear view mirrors on the sides. I have looked around but with no luck, if all else fails I will be forced to go to the dealer and pay the insane price. Any help with finding what I need, pricing, websites I can order from and or advice would be great.
Thanks
Anthony

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: AECIS300 ]

·
Registered
348 Posts
I bought mine at the dealer and it cost me about $150.O0 including taxes. I put it on only for road trip and probably this winter for extra protection.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why not go with a clear bra....something like xpel (I believe xpel.com). Probably costs more than a regular bra but you cant see it, and you can leave it on all the time. The only trick might be finding someone in your area to install it (or if you're willing you can give it a try yourself).

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Although clear bra protection is superb...
Clear bra sucks...why? Well for starters you can see where it ends and I dont like that especially on a light colored car especially when it is dirty...I have the factory bra from the dealer $150 and it does the trick for me and I have the option to take it off when I want...FYI the clear bra will cost ya about $500 clams installed at the dealer

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by Kel3:
Although clear bra protection is superb...
Clear bra sucks...why? Well for starters you can see where it ends and I dont like that especially on a light colored car especially when it is dirty...I have the factory bra from the dealer $150 and it does the trick for me and I have the option to take it off when I want...FYI the clear bra will cost ya about $500 clams installed at the dealer
Not exactly Kel.

I had my hood and mirror kit put on by an authorized installer for a grand total of $150 - the same price as a nasty looking bra. I'm not sure what you've seen, but I can't see my line unless I'm standing over the car, and if it's sunny out, it's hard even then. Seeing as though no one should be standing over your car unless they're about to key it, most people will never know it's there. On the other hand, 100% will see a black bra, unless your car is black. Not to mention, unless you keep the thing clean, you're scratching your paint. If you plan on covering the bumper and headlights with Xpel, you can pay near $500, but otherwise, $150 - $200 is normal for the hood and mirrors.

Click on the pic in my sig to see what I see on the hood everyday. See it?

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: SilverLex ]

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I see your point lex
I thought he wanted to cover his whole front-end... I saw it on a yellow IS it I didnt like the visibility & lack of flexibility factor i.e. taking it off to wax or buff etc.. I guess it just winds down to "P.P." Personal Preference...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yeah, I'll agree that it's a matter of preference.

One of the features of xpel is that it's designed to accept wax just like the paint, so the protected areas aren't neglected when it comes to that. I've applied a three step (cleaner, polish, wax) to it with great results. But in the long run, if I don't like it or it gets damaged, it peels off with a heat gun.

I've actually watched a large rock bounce off the front of it. It left a mark on the xpel since I guess it disturbed the glue, but over the course of a few hot days, that mark was gone. I cringe to think what that would have done to the paint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm guessing might depend on the installer too. 500 bucks seems like a lot, but i look at the front end of my current car and I wish i could only spend 500 to fix the way it looks (its so bad you'd have to sand everything -hood, bumper, front lip- and completely repaint it).

Also someone here posted a pic of one on an SBM (i'm thinking of getting an IBP) and you couldnt see it unless you stood at a weird angle with weird lighting.

Well, thats just my 2 cents. BUt, it is all personal preference. I would definately do a lot of research tho before bringing it to ANYONE to do an install.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have Xpel on my 3 series, the front of hood, bumper, headlites, fogs and mirrors. I barely notice it but I think the color of the vehicle is the determining factor. The car is steel gray.

I have owned many bras, they are a hassle. I always took it off when it rained and refused to put back on a dirty car. I live in the north and cars are always dirty in the winter. So if its not on the car all the time, the front end gets severe paint chips. With Xpel, don't have to worry about this. I think its well worth the price and will be putting it on the Sportcross shortly.

By the way, I saw the guy install it and would never do it myself. I think training makes all the difference in the world, experience alone won't do it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2001-11-13 21:11, Sportster wrote:
I have Xpel on my 3 series, the front of hood, bumper, headlites, fogs and mirrors. I barely notice it but I think the color of the vehicle is the determining factor. The car is steel gray.

I have owned many bras, they are a hassle. I always took it off when it rained and refused to put back on a dirty car. I live in the north and cars are always dirty in the winter. So if its not on the car all the time, the front end gets severe paint chips. With Xpel, don't have to worry about this. I think its well worth the price and will be putting it on the Sportcross shortly.

By the way, I saw the guy install it and would never do it myself. I think training makes all the difference in the world, experience alone won't do it.

</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW Sportster, is it very easy to change the spark plugs on your Bimmer???? Any special tools for hard to reach areas (if any)??

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just bought a Colgan custom Bra and it's not bad. If you want just the hood I'd definately recommend it. It fits tight and snug and it's perfect. The bumper portion fits great too, but I don't like how it fits on the sides right above the headlights. But that's my preference. Overall, I say it's great and I paid 89.95 plus shipping. Try here:
autoanything.com
I searched lots of sites and found this place to be at least $10 cheaper than the rest. They also sell the hood portion by itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2001-11-14 03:24, sharpman wrote:
Does anyone know where to get half bra?
I don't like full bra from dearer & I think xpel is too much for me.
thanks

I bought a half-bra for my '01 Graphite grey-pearl, and I love it. I paid $35 online from a company called Covercraft, but it was from a vendor. Covercraft calls them "Mini masks." Do a search for Covercraft mini masks and that should find you something....

·
Registered
98 Posts
On 2001-11-13 22:20, dude wrote:

BTW Sportster, is it very easy to change the spark plugs on your Bimmer???? Any special tools for hard to reach areas (if any)??

Thanks

Not sure, they are out of sight. Only has 7500 miles on it so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts