Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the first paragraph of the article:
BMW's M5 is a fantastic car, but it has evolved over the years from a mid-size hot rod to a gentleman's express, becoming more, shall we say, lexurious in the process. Drivers wanting a more responsive, compact sports sedan might be better off looking at the M3.
This subtle vilification of Lexus performance-wise(comparing the M5 to what it was to it's now Lexus-like mediocrity) is completely editorial. I did not have the stomach to read more of this tripe.

For those of you with stronger constitutions:
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2001/May/200105_feature_hartg eh50v8.xml

What do you guys think?

[ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: Luc ]

·
Registered
342 Posts
We cant be sure that isnt a typo. Im pretty sure they meant 'luxurious'. C&D is known for small errors like that. I would think if that was a subtle vilification, they would have capitalized the word.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3 I,
Try this:
Type an "E" then type an "U". Different hands, I don't buy it.
How do you account for the "shall we say..", an obvious prelude to the obvious slam to follow.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I see your point, and I wasnt doubting you.

I guess we will have to wait to see if someone catches it, and writes in to Ed next month

·
8,107 Posts
Not sure what you guys are complaining about, compare the old M5, a real race-ready sports sedan, to the new one, which is more isolated and cushy high performance, just like a GS400. The GS and LS cars are very isolated and soft, though very fast cars. C&D prefers BMWs to Lexus, so do a lot of people. But they love the IS300, voting it 'most fun' of the class.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think this was probably intentional. Lexus' reputation is not for sporting cars. The IS is Lexus' first attempt at a sports sedan. Have you driven an M5? What they say is very accurate. It does feel very isolated and not as much fun as an M3. The cabin is very luxurious and is Lexus-like quiet at speed. The recurculating-ball steering does not provide much feed-back. It still handles great, you just can't feel it as much. C&D is one of my favorite magazines. I love how they post very thourought stats and have different editors opinions.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I do not see it as an insult either, more of a compliment to Lexus in general than anything. It is not the worst thing when your name becomes synonomous with luxury. The IS is supposed to be a mix of luxury and sport, we just happen to like and emphasise the sport the most.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
croddy
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing