Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT2: No More Rub. See page 2.

EDIT: This is almost resolved. I will put masking tape on my front fender liner to see where it is rubbing. I'm pretty sure the rear doesn't rub anymore. Thanks guys!

I had this inside my I&O thread, but most people just told me drop it lower. Hopefully somebody here can help me resolve the issue. My wheels are rubbing in back, but I haven't located the spot yet. The sidewalls still look perfect, so it's hard to locate the point of contact. They only rub at the lowest point of suspension travel after I go over a raised railroad track (which I go over 2-4x a day. I suspect that they would rub on larger dips, but since I've only had the wheels for a day, I can't be certain. Other than that, I see the tires clearing the fender with no issues while driving...even when tucking rim or close to it.

The fenders are shaved to ~3/8" from the rear bumper until the side molding. I never rubbed with the 5zigens (18x7.5 +42), so I'm guessing it has to be somewhere on the fender. Also, I don't see any rub marks on the suspension. I consulted a number of people, and everyone thought I wouldn't have any issues since I only have a moderate drop. The fronts are rubbing on the liner, so that will be taken care of shortly. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

Specs
Work VS-XX 18x8/9 +38
Falken FK-452 225/40/18 & 235/40/18

· Registered
46 Posts
what worked for me was some duct tape, put duct tape along the inside of the fender, take the car for a drive until it rubs, then take a look at the tape and see where it is either dirty, or ripped

worked for me with my last car

Reactions: rvalero

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was planning to do just that as soon as I get over this cold. I'm pretty sure the rear is good to go, but the front still need work. R_Tuned, white_is, and teckis300 gave me a lot of good ideas in my Inside & Out thread my.IS - Lexus IS Forum - Work's Row Boat Has Arrived!

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

Rubbing is 90% less up front and ~75% less in back. With my 9 year old son in back, my rears rub on the plastic liner just above the bumper cover bracket. I shaved the bracket to the shape of the bumper's plastic tab, and flattened out the plastic liner. Unless I shave the polyU bumper cover tab, removing more metal seems like it won't help. How are you guys (who are running 18x9+38 with a 235/40/18 or more aggressive) not rubbing there?

I was told to do this, but the tire would probably still rub on the liner above the plastic tab.

Maybe I'm not seeing something here. Anybody want to fill me in or provide any other ideas? Thanks.

· Registered
6,374 Posts
Just an idea as I haven't tried this myself...

But you could just bend that metal tab back there at the mounting screw a bit. The bumper cover tab should bend up with it. Should buy you a bit more of clearance without compromising the structural integrity anymore.

· Registered
653 Posts
if you cant figure it out come down to my shop and i will help you get it fixxed..

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting idea, but I wonder if it would pull the bumper along with it, and throw off the line? Thanks.

R_Tuned: How did you get around this issue?

EDIT:
if you cant figure it out come down to my shop and i will help you get it fixxed..
Did you cut the bumper cover tab? Thanks for the offer. If I can't get this done myself, I may hit you up.

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back. The front should be an easy fix. The rear bumper cover's tab keeps me from flattening out the rear liner enough to get rid of the rub.

· Registered
653 Posts
if its the front i showed you were i had cut the front fender liner and the fenders i had rolled them. im droped more then you and no rubbing i can take a corner at a high speed with no prob. & speed bumps lol

· Registered
653 Posts
were i made the line to cut that means metal bracket and bumper bracket too. bumper will be fine but the rim rubs on that part thats why i had cut it their and told you to,since you are running the same set up i was,you should have it like i do! now im gonna be fitting 19x10 with the rear set up now.

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We keep posting at the same time. See post 8 & 10

· Registered
653 Posts
Interesting idea, but I wonder if it would pull the bumper along with it, and throw off the line
what line?

and what bumper cover tap any pic i can help you better with a pic

and ill pm u my number j.i.c

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and what bumper cover tap any pic i can help you better with a pic

and ill pm u my number j.i.c
Thanks. Got the PM. I was wondering if this tab still got in your way. Even if I cut the metal beneath it, it seems like it would keep me from flattening out the liner. I'll try removing more of the bracket, and see what happens. Thanks for helping out! If I get stuck, I'll give you a call.

· Registered
653 Posts
ok once you cut were the line is the tab wont get in the way cause you have to cut it to match the metal tab also and what you mean(it seems like it would keep me from flattening out the liner)

Reactions: PREngineering

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wasn't sure that I wanted to cut the tab to match the bracket. it seems like the bumper would break off more easily. My other side is already broken. I had to mend it with a washer to keep it from pulling away from the fender.

I'm talking about that small liner that is held on by maybe 4 10mm/Phillips screws. If I didn't cut the tab, I wouldn't be able to heat up that liner and push it flat--similar to the fender liner mod. I have to be at work in 5 hrs. If I don't get it worked out, I'll give you a call. Thanks!

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
**No More Rub!!**

I think I'm finally done! I went over my testing grounds at 50mph, and no rub. When I first put the new wheels on, I was rubbing at 30mph. Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas, especially R_Tuned.

Shaved the rear bumper bracket. Since I'm not slammed, I didn't have to take off as much material. I took off a little more than the unmodded tab pictured.

Rather than cutting off the excess bumper cover tab, I decided to melt the tip with one of those BBQ lighters, and smash it with a socket. Apply pressure, and roll it back & forth until it matches the contour of the bumper bracket. If you are lower than ~1.5", you may want to remove more metal like R_Tuned (pictured in previous post). I'm hoping that it will be stronger than it would be if I had just cut it off. It's not pictured, but I sanded down the bare metal nice and smooth with 220 grit, and then painted it before putting it back together.

I heated up the rear liner and used Teck's idea of remolding the plastic by flattening it with a wet rag. I wish I had a before picture so you can see the amount of clearance that was gained.

No pictures, but the front rub was simply taken care of by heating up the fender liner, and pushing it upward. Very simple. you can use this as a reference (Start on pg 10): My IS Story: Day 1 - Club Lexus Forums <--Thanks white_is and diegolex
I didn't completely flatten everything out, and I still have my pop pins in place. I simply heated up the metal tabs, and then bent them upward to give me more clearance.

I do have pics of how I taped up my fenders with white-ish masking tape to find rub marks. Don't use blue tape since it will be harder to notice rub marks.

Again, my thanks goes out to everyone for helping me get this issue resolved.

EDIT:

After lowering my car a little more, my wheels started rubbing again. After adding Fig's S2 Mega Arms to correct camber, I was in need of more clearance. I ended up shaving the fender down to 1/4 inch and flattening the rear fender liner more. I noticed that the shaved edges looked kinda rough before I started up again. This time, I used a sanding disk to take the edge off the fender. I also used an electric sander to smooth off the edges a little more.

(Before Paint)

Here's an image of my rolled front fender. Along with some of my liner, the pop pins are now gone.

· Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! What's funny is that I was going to apologize for my point & shoot pics since I didn't feel like bringing out the DSLR. :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.