Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid question, but can I drive around with the shifter in "M" and "5" on display, i.e. allowing the tranny to play with all 5 gears. The thing is if I keep it in auto, I never have enough time to push the button to downship and at the same time to switch into manual.

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by Lost_soul:
This is probably a stupid question, but can I drive around with the shifter in "M" and "5" on display, i.e. allowing the tranny to play with all 5 gears. The thing is if I keep it in auto, I never have enough time to push the button to downship and at the same time to switch into manual.

Thanks
Yes you can drive it while in M and the computer basically does what it does in D mode... you can actually leave it in 3rd or 4th as well and basically the computer shifts for you through up to the selected gear, but not beyond...

its actually quite convenient for city driving... you can always down shift when you want to pass, or just leave it in 3rd during the stop and go sessions...

·
Registered
138 Posts
i know this is stupid question,but i dont know much bout manuals...so dont make fun of me...but is downshifting 1 to 2 or 2 to 1? i always thought downshifting mean to go to slower gear(like the one before..)..but guess not if u downshift to pass.......

·
Registered
259 Posts
Downshifting to pass with the notion that not all ppl are running around at 30mph in 1st or 85 mph in 3rd (read: at 6250 rpm or so). With that said, your car usually will pick the most fuel economical gear with a little room for some acceleration. (something like 3rd at 35 mph, or 2nd at 10 mph)

If you understand how a powerband and gearing work together, the rest falls in place. If you're doing 80 mph on the highway, and you're in 5th, say your rpms are 2700. (suppose your car makes 80 hp at 2700 rpm, this is just an arbitrary figure) If you wanted to pass in 5th gear, you'd only have 80 hp to use to accelerate the car. Downshift to 4th and suppose you jump to 4000 rpm, you'd have some 150 hp now, not bad. If your car's gearing allows drop down to 3rd and you'll be around 6000 rpm (just a few below redline) and putting out close to peak hp, 215 or 225 or so. 225 hp is going to accelerate the car a lot faster than 80 hp will.

That's why people downshift. To 'rig' it so that they can use their peak hp to pass a car.

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
F=ma
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing