Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read thedon insured his body kit and wheels. Don, did you do this with your car insurance coverage or is this seperate. What kind of fee did they charge you and up to what amount is covered? What kind of coverage is it filed as? thanks :D

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
if you have your receipt and proof of purchase, you should be fully covered under your current coverage plan. I got into 3 accident already, and the insurance paid for brand new cwest front bumper, all 3 times.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
you should be able to insure everything on your car. my uncle had his highly modified 2000 Prelude stolen and they paid him back every penny he paid for on the car. He told me that he paid like 50 extra a year for that service and he would get paid back until his car is 3 years old.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It all depends on your auto insurance company.

My previous one told me that they don't cover aftermarket parts, so go figure.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so technically if insurance covers aftermarket parts on the car, everything on my car is covered? that'd be cool- gotta call my insurance now :lol:

i have AAA, does anyone know their policy on aftermarket stuff?

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
1NewLexIS300 said:
ok, so technically if insurance covers aftermarket parts on the car, everything on my car is covered? that'd be cool- gotta call my insurance now :lol:

i have AAA, does anyone know their policy on aftermarket stuff?
I had AAA. Their customer service sucks when it came time for them to help me out! My car was stolen, and I was given the run-around. (Yes, despite what people have said about AAA service being good, not all of them are!!) I had to wait 2 months for them to make a final decision on whether to total my car or not, because the insurance adjuster said that the body shop was not is his "area" of service. He was an ass to the body shop, didn't bother looking at my car, and then deemed it a total loss. At first, they didn't want to reimburse me for my aftermarket parts or stereo even though I provided receipts. they calculated depreciation my 3 week old tires!!! :bitching: in the end, the focked me over, and didn't give me fair value for my car. After I bought my new car (the IS300) I dropped AAA like a bad habit and went with a different insurance company.

My current company said that I can have up to $2000.00 in aftermarket parts without additional coverage, anything over will cost. My insurance rep added in the comment line of my coverage that that my stock stereo is worth over $500.00, so in case something happens to it, they will cover it for sure. I don't have to pay extra for it. :D

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
yeah I got mercury insurance and they cover up to 3200 or some figure in the 3K range. And that was just enough to cover the cost of my L-Tuned Kit and the wheels. If the whole car gets stolen, I might not be able to get the full kit again, its more than what I paid for back then. But all I wanted to do was be able to get a new front L-Tuned bumper in case I got into an accident, because i already had one bumper ending accident. I know how easy it is to loose a bumper.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
and as far as proving what was damaged in case I do end up in an accident... Borrowing a line from Sixteen Candles "That my friends.. Is what the pictures are for".
They took pics of my car, and filed them away. I made sure they got the front back side and side. If the insurance adjuster tries to quote a regular front bumper, Ill tell them to break out them damn pics.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
For GEICO they only cover what on the car at the time of purchase as shown on the invoice. If it's dealer installed at the time of sale then it's covered. They also have additional coverage that you can purchase for performance modifications and electronics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts