Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
brings me to my next question..how many ppl in here are in to drifting? it seems to me is that the only people okayying the welded diff. is into the drift. lol i dont i need more research...oh is there a diy that shows where to weld???

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
I would vote...save and buy an LSD:approve:

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
think about it this way...if it was "the way to go" then everyone would be doing it.

it's about what you value. if you value all that a lexus is, then you don't weld the diff. if you value other things, then well...that's a diff story.

really just depends on your point of view.

if you gotta ask on a forum, i'd say you're prob better off not doing it...

·
Registered
336 Posts
My IS300 is a drift car and my everyday driver because I cant afford another car, if you decide to weld your diff tell me and I will pm the best way to do it. Also hypermkIV a lexus is just a toyota with a fancy name, there still just a normal car.

I will probably get neg rep for expressing what I think and welding my diff but I don't really care.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
My IS300 is a drift car and my everyday driver because I cant afford another car, if you decide to weld your diff tell me and I will pm the best way to do it. Also hypermkIV a lexus is just a toyota with a fancy name, there still just a normal car.

I will probably get neg rep for expressing what I think and welding my diff but I don't really care.
i'm not one of those people who do that. (-rep thing)

and yes you're right... however, it still is a more luxury type car than your average car. it was made more for comfort than "racing" per se... but you do what you want with your car and give your opinions the way you want to...and we will do the same.

no one is actually "argueing" with you but everyone is just giving their opinions. however, opinions coming from individuals with years in the automotive industry can be more convincing, i think you can see how other people's opinions can outweigh someone elses in certain cases.

it's a forum where people can come and express themselves. don't take it so seriously.

if you want, you can list the pros and cons of welding a diff and let the original poster read it.

then someone else can post theirs as well... poster can make their own decision...

i personally know more people who wish they didn't weld their diffs than those who are happy with the welded diff...but everyone has their opinions right???

:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here is a suggestion since your going to weld on it.
Weld the leftside only and then drive it and see how it reacts.
Keeping the right side free will allow the diff to slip in a corner.

Another way is to find some strong springs that fit inside between the two gears. slipping them in will push on the gear like a LSD. you will need to safety wire them in there several times. This has been done on the bigger American diffs where there is room between the four gears.

These are two cheap tricks used in bomber stock dirt racing back East.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey man I’m looking at welding my diff on my is I need some tips

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hey man I’m looking at welding my diff on my is I need some tips
My tip is to take it to a welder that's done it before. You need to clean the **** out of the area and then preheat the gears, then lay some fat beads in there. Some guys I've seen have also welded in a plate for extra strength. If you plan on taking the whole open diff off the carrier gear then take out the pinion and get a solid pinion spacer in there too from Weir perfomance. They're only $55, use the MKIII Supra one on this page:

or there guys: https://www.justdifferentials.com/SKCSTV6-p/skcstv6.htm

21 - 30 of 30 Posts