Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a non-lsd diff., and i wonder if the diff can be welded??? i have a friend that have 240's with welded diffs, and i thought it might be a good idea. just wanted to know if it could be done.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
yeah. not a good idea, esp if you are planning to make big power. just save and get an LSD

·
Banned
12,268 Posts
It can be done, some bimmer guys run them.................in their drift cars. I wouldn't recommend it for the street.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have had a welded diff for about 6 mouths now. I drift with it and daily drive. its not that bad and since your friend has one you know about how the inside wheel skips. other than that i think its a good idea if you dont have 900 to spend in a good lsd. And welded will never slip.

But when you get it welded do not weld the spider gears, when they get really hot from welding it will make them weaker and will snap. Thats what happened to me so i just welded the axle gears to the carrier and i took the spider gears out. I'm also at 400whp and have no problems

·
4,636 Posts
with a welded diff ur turning radius isnt as good and all that will happen is ur car is going to skip and you will hear tire noise. that should be about it, and i agree if you dont have money for a good LSD this is a good mod for a drift/daily driver.

·
Registered
650 Posts
240 people weld there diff b/c they are like 20 bucks to find another one. i'm pretty sure finding another open diff for an is300 is much more expensive. but hey, if you got the money then go for it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
oh and driving w/ a welded diff in wet weather on turns can be very unforgiving

·
Registered
336 Posts
driving with a welded diff in the rain isn't bad at all. The only difference with a welded diff is a parking lot speeds but on the road going through corners it feel just like an open.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm a firm believer in doing things right. If you are going to do something don't half ass it. Save your money and save yourself the pain. Buy an LSD.

·
Registered
360 Posts
try making a U-turn with a welded diff.
Well it would look sweet with some throttle :p
followed by the fuzz :pissed:
just save for LSD they are not that expensive, go to wrecker sites or just IS300 parts on ebay, im sure you would get one cheap :approve:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts