Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of l-tuned sways sitting in my basement. I'm waiting to install them but now I am reading rave reviews about the Hotchkiss sways. You're comparing apples to oranges here because the Hotchkiss are so much stiffer, this I know. But can your sways be too stiff? I remember reading that having sways too stiff makes you lose some of the independent suspension design of the car. I know the l-tuned were designed for our car, but so were the TRD yellows and they're much stiffer.

I guess I am just looking for a little advice from someone who knows suspension better than myself. I don't track the car, just want it to handle better with less body roll. How are the Hotchkiss sways? How is the ride? How bad is oversteer? I am also installing l-tuned springs with the sways if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
sways highly depend on the driver as well. some people like a little lean and some like the car stiff as hell. at the limit is where you will feel the difference between a stiff sway and a forgiving sway. if your sways are too stiff it acts like a "torsion" bar between the left and right suspension not letting them act as independent anymore. "too much tying in".

say you were taking a left turn. the cars weight balance will be thrown to the right of your car. imagine two scenarios one with stock sways and one with super stiff sways.

1: the car will roll immensly to the right while going left putting a ton of pressure on the outside (right) tires.

2: the car will not roll at all but there comes a point where instead of roll, the left hand side of the car will start to lift and you will lose traction because of the needed roll.

i think my explanation maybe a little hazy but thats the best i can do just typing off the top of my head. im running the A51 sways right now and although they arent the stiffest available, im quite happy. as i upgrade my tires and better my driving ability then i will upgrade to stiffer sways. which also brings me to another point. if your tires can handle the extra load, then go for it. im still running on stock tires. =)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've run both the yellows and l-tuned. I track the car and do autocross and what I found is that I run faster with the l-tuned. The yellows are not really designed for our cars, but for the lighter altezza. The ultra stiff rear sway caused for too much oversteer when at the limit, hence you can not get the power down out at corner exit. I must admit, the yellows were more fun from the ultra flat cornering perspective and the hero slides at autocross left a grin on my face that lasted all day.
You actually feel like you're going faster with the yellows, but a review of my in car video on the same track with the different sways say otherwise; by a large margin.
I've never been in a car with the Hotchkiss sways so I can't comment on them, but the balance front to rear seems better than the TRD's.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I drove a factory Ltuned before (with the LTUNED sways) and personally they were a little too soft. They obviously gave a tremdous improvment over stock sway bars but still had quite a bit of roll when pushing the car very hard. I did however buy the TRD yellows which are stiffer and seems to be more fitted to my driving style.

So...i think its not realli sway bars being too stiff i think its just the drivers preference to handling...

·
Registered
353 Posts
JDMIS300 said:
So...i think its not realli sway bars being too stiff i think its just the drivers preference to handling...
That's a great point, I agree completely. I think the l-tuned suit my style because they offer more progressive breakaway characterisitics. Which could = more confidence to drive faster. I also have much higher spring rates than the stocks too to reduce the body roll. Don't get me wrong, the car definately leans with the l-tuned and Azenis tires. Perhaps if I go to a full race compound I'll need stiffer sways. The driver's not ready for that jump yet. 8)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Other suspension mods will impact the effect the stiffness of the bar has. For example it seems fasionable to dial in a lot more understeer into the IS by having wider wheels and tires on the rear. This looks cool but is heading the wrong way from a handling standpoint. Having a stiffer rear bar would help to take out some of the push that was added in. A car with stock wheels and tires would have more push taken out with the same bar. The stock car would tend to be more loose with the same rear bar.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree. As mentioned in my prior posts, the L-Tuned sways fit my needs for both Autox and street. Since I run on stock suspension, I do have body roll, a little more than I would like, but definitely flatter than stock. Upgrading to stiffer springs/ dampers would reduce it. TIme and money will determine that, heh heh...

Hotchki's does make good products. I haven't had a chance to ride in a car with them to give my opinion on the increase in performance. I guess the key is balance. Everything in the suspension/chassis needs to be accounted for (i.e. weight distribution, spring rate, tires, dampers, chassis stiffness, alignment, and most importantly the driver's comfort level).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Without racing the stop watch you couldn't tell the difference riding or driving between sway bars with similar spring rates.

·
Registered
353 Posts
jmess said:
Without racing the stop watch you couldn't tell the difference riding or driving between sway bars with similar spring rates.

Stiffer sways will definately jar you around more on a bumpy mountain road. They're not noticable on a freeway.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Guys

you really need to get coilovers. Sway will help handling but the majority of the improvement will on with coilovers. I wasn't that impresss with my handling after just installing sways.

My Tein HA took out majority of the body roll compare to the sway install.

My setups at the track is dialed in with damper settings. I now run track setting at full firm front and 5 from full firm in rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts