Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this post where he wetsanded his whole car, is this just to get rid of Orange peel or does it do more? I noticed that he said his car did not have a clear coat, does our black onyx have a clear coat? If I can do this what prodcut should I use, and is it put on with a buffer and then wiped off with a rag. I would appreciate any help with this.

The link to that thread is:
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=265703&highlight=Wetsand

·
Registered
608 Posts
Onyx does have clear coat.

If there is sufficent coats of Clear, you can wetsand. BUT!!!!! you need to have some previous know how and BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd do it again with no worrys :)

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Mr_Singh said:
Onyx does have clear coat.

If there is sufficent coats of Clear, you can wetsand. BUT!!!!! you need to have some previous know how and BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd do it again with no worrys :)
onyx doesn't have a clear coat. It's built in to the paint and is sprayed single stage.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
OKCIS said:
I dont think any of the lexus paints have clear coats and if you have never wetsanded your car dont do it
most of them do.
black onyx, AR, SY don't. There's no metallic in them. Lexus saves money by mixing them single stage.

However, you can still paint them using base and clear. I paint them that way regardless of what lexus/toyota recommends.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Wet sanding an entire car is an insane amount of work. I would recommend getting a good polish and buffer. Even a 2-3 stage polish. If your car does not look good after this, your paint must be in really bad shape.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
WRONG WRONG WRONG!!

It all depends. I'mnot sure onthe factors, but my IS has a clear coat, and it's onyx.

If it saved big money, then toyota would have painted all the onyx cars with clear coat as well. I just got back from my buddies shop recently where the corolla they had in the shop was side swiped, and they were feathering the rear fender. It was CLEAR AS DAY there was a clear coat (no pun intended).

I wetsanded my car to see if it had a clearcoat, and I got nothing but whiteish water after doing so.

Oh, and mixing clear into the base and spraying single stage is a process both my buddy who owns a shop and the manager of Patrick BMW collision center have never heard of being done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts