Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of new cars warn you in the owner's manual not to wax the car for a few weeks/months until the paint has "set". Nothing like that in the SportCross manual. Any consensus if I can/should wax the wife's new SportCross this weekend?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i think some ppl said that its ok to wax a new car. well, i waxed my new IS about a month after i bought it and i had a lot of swirl marks. my paint was sbm and the swirl marks looked like sh!t and took forever to get off. i say dont wax until you need to, cuz i used 100% cotton cloth and everything. i dont know if it was the paint itself or maybe the materials i was using.

·
Registered
32 Posts
shinto:

No offense but the swirl marks are probably the result of a bad wax job. Your not supposed to rub in circles, instead rub in straight lines from front to back. Read carcareonline.com for more info.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Correct - especially with finishes that don't have metallic specks in them, you really want to wax in straight lines.

Hey James - if you catch a Red 02 5spd around town (Pittsburgh), that's most likely me! I just moved back this Sat.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
No offense but the swirl marks are probably the result of a bad wax job. Your not supposed to rub in circles, instead rub in straight lines from front to back. Read carcareonline.com for more info.
DOH!!!

i always thought u go in circles, damn.

·
Registered
69 Posts
mine too was waxed before I picked it up...gave it its first coat of Zaino a week later...looked great...been using it ever since with no paint damage...no swirl marks, zaino has some good 'advice' or 'how to' as well...

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by Italian Stallion:
A lot of new cars warn you in the owner's manual not to wax the car for a few weeks/months until the paint has "set". Nothing like that in the SportCross manual. Any consensus if I can/should wax the wife's new SportCross this weekend?
Your car was most-likely waxed before you picked it up.

Paint on modern-day cars is cured at the factory. They have a completely different paint process than that of Joe Blow's Body Shop down the road. Should you ever get a panel or (forbid) an entire car repainted, THEN you will have to wait for the paint to cure before waxing. Wax away!

·
Registered
333 Posts
My best friend got a 911 Turbo a few months back and told him to bring it in in 6-8 months for the first waxing, after the paint cured.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by Hunt NXS:
My best friend got a 911 Turbo a few months back and told him to bring it in in 6-8 months for the first waxing, after the paint cured.
That sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Did the salesguy say that or Porsche? Why Porsche would use old school paint methods like that is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
just curious...why would you want to wax a brand new car anyway? the paint should be flawless if its brand new, assuming that they do wax ur car before you get it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To keep it looking new (i.e., from bird droppings, etc.) and to hopefully diminish the possibilities of paint chip on the front.

Originally posted by shinto:
just curious...why would you want to wax a brand new car anyway? the paint should be flawless if its brand new, assuming that they do wax ur car before you get it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally posted by MorpheIS:
Correct - especially with finishes that don't have metallic specks in them, you really want to wax in straight lines.

Hey James - if you catch a Red 02 5spd around town (Pittsburgh), that's most likely me! I just moved back this Sat.
Only wax in circles if you have a Karate tournament against the Cobra Kai's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's safe. I was looking at some IS's at Longo and they had wax on them, apparantly someone didn't buff it off completely, i rubbed my finger across it and came right off, so pretty sure it's wax.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
personally, i'd clay bar the car as soon as you can to get rid of the paint overspray (which is un-noticeable, but there).
Then wax away.........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts