Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of new cars warn you in the owner's manual not to wax the car for a few weeks/months until the paint has "set". Nothing like that in the SportCross manual. Any consensus if I can/should wax the wife's new SportCross this weekend?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i think some ppl said that its ok to wax a new car. well, i waxed my new IS about a month after i bought it and i had a lot of swirl marks. my paint was sbm and the swirl marks looked like sh!t and took forever to get off. i say dont wax until you need to, cuz i used 100% cotton cloth and everything. i dont know if it was the paint itself or maybe the materials i was using.

·
Registered
32 Posts
shinto:

No offense but the swirl marks are probably the result of a bad wax job. Your not supposed to rub in circles, instead rub in straight lines from front to back. Read carcareonline.com for more info.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Correct - especially with finishes that don't have metallic specks in them, you really want to wax in straight lines.

Hey James - if you catch a Red 02 5spd around town (Pittsburgh), that's most likely me! I just moved back this Sat.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
No offense but the swirl marks are probably the result of a bad wax job. Your not supposed to rub in circles, instead rub in straight lines from front to back. Read carcareonline.com for more info.
DOH!!!

i always thought u go in circles, damn.

·
Registered
69 Posts
mine too was waxed before I picked it up...gave it its first coat of Zaino a week later...looked great...been using it ever since with no paint damage...no swirl marks, zaino has some good 'advice' or 'how to' as well...

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by Italian Stallion:
A lot of new cars warn you in the owner's manual not to wax the car for a few weeks/months until the paint has "set". Nothing like that in the SportCross manual. Any consensus if I can/should wax the wife's new SportCross this weekend?
Your car was most-likely waxed before you picked it up.

Paint on modern-day cars is cured at the factory. They have a completely different paint process than that of Joe Blow's Body Shop down the road. Should you ever get a panel or (forbid) an entire car repainted, THEN you will have to wait for the paint to cure before waxing. Wax away!

·
Registered
333 Posts
My best friend got a 911 Turbo a few months back and told him to bring it in in 6-8 months for the first waxing, after the paint cured.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by Hunt NXS:
My best friend got a 911 Turbo a few months back and told him to bring it in in 6-8 months for the first waxing, after the paint cured.
That sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Did the salesguy say that or Porsche? Why Porsche would use old school paint methods like that is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
just curious...why would you want to wax a brand new car anyway? the paint should be flawless if its brand new, assuming that they do wax ur car before you get it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To keep it looking new (i.e., from bird droppings, etc.) and to hopefully diminish the possibilities of paint chip on the front.

Originally posted by shinto:
just curious...why would you want to wax a brand new car anyway? the paint should be flawless if its brand new, assuming that they do wax ur car before you get it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally posted by MorpheIS:
Correct - especially with finishes that don't have metallic specks in them, you really want to wax in straight lines.

Hey James - if you catch a Red 02 5spd around town (Pittsburgh), that's most likely me! I just moved back this Sat.
Only wax in circles if you have a Karate tournament against the Cobra Kai's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's safe. I was looking at some IS's at Longo and they had wax on them, apparantly someone didn't buff it off completely, i rubbed my finger across it and came right off, so pretty sure it's wax.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
personally, i'd clay bar the car as soon as you can to get rid of the paint overspray (which is un-noticeable, but there).
Then wax away.........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
Eddy
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing