Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob to the IS here... I just got my 2001 and it already has an after market cd player in the dash. The stock radio is located in the trunk. I have been trollin' around the forum and haven't heard of anyone relocating their stock deck. Am I missing something? Anyways, I am trying to figure out what the previous owner has done to the audio system. I realize that if I want to change out the rear stock speakers, I'll need to run speaker wires from the new head unit to them. But what about the front speakers? Can I just use the stock speaker wires that go to the woofers in the door, or do I have to run new speaker wires to the door speakers as well? Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
you can re-use the existing wire for both the front and rear. the only problem is that the existing speaker wire starts at the location of the stock amp (front passenger kick panel), so you would have to atleast run wire from the HU to that location and splice in with the existing wire.

never heard of someone relocating the stock CD player. kinda uselss to have two radios. does the stock still function from the trunk? :confused:

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Imo I think you should really get that re-wired.

I cant imagine how it would sound...

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have seen some people use the stock radio only for the stock navi to work since it is required. In this case, it is totally not needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure why they relocated the stock unit to the back, being that it doesn't have navi. I have already replaced the stock door speakers. I wired them to the stock door wiring. They sound fine. But with the stock amp still working and the head unit power, I'm not sure which piece is acually powering the front doors. But I have heard that I will have a problem with the rear speakers when I replace them. Would it be easier to run all new speaker wires from my aftermarket head unit to the front and rear speakers, or to tap into the front and rear speaker leads at the amp? I haven't pulled the amp just yet and don't know if the amount of room is minimal, thus making it a royal pain. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more thing I thought about... Is it possible the previous owner had the stock deck moved to the trunk because he wanted to use an after market deck up front WITH the stock speakers. Most people who change the stock deck, upgrade the speakers, right? If you upgraded the stock deck and tried to run the rear speakers off of aftermarket head unit power there would be issues from what I understand; but if you upgraded your deck, kept the old deck in play and hooked up to the stock amp, the owner wouldn't have to change the stock speakers out, right? I'm not sure how long ago the owner did this, maybe there are adapters that make it possible to bypass the amp without relocating now, but what about 7 years ago, probably not. That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
854 Posts
you had to re-wire it to make it work and it is not recommended at all to do that. I was going to do that but it would actually blow the internal amp in the deck. I would just unplug the stock stereo and see what happens??

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
One more thing I thought about... Is it possible the previous owner had the stock deck moved to the trunk because he wanted to use an after market deck up front WITH the stock speakers. Most people who change the stock deck, upgrade the speakers, right? If you upgraded the stock deck and tried to run the rear speakers off of aftermarket head unit power there would be issues from what I understand; but if you upgraded your deck, kept the old deck in play and hooked up to the stock amp, the owner wouldn't have to change the stock speakers out, right? I'm not sure how long ago the owner did this, maybe there are adapters that make it possible to bypass the amp without relocating now, but what about 7 years ago, probably not. That's all I can think of.
I think you hit the nail on the head. 7 years ago there was not an adapter to let you use an aftermarket HU with stock amp. Today, there is, the Metra harness everyone talks about.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head. 7 years ago there was not an adapter to let you use an aftermarket HU with stock amp. Today, there is, the Metra harness everyone talks about.
But how would you hook up the aftermarket HU to the stock HU in the trunk? Aux in? Then you would have to run RCA from new HU in front to stock HU in the trunk, then run new speaker wires from stock HU in trunk back to stock amp input stage at the front, which IMHO is a bigger pain in the ass than just using the new HU to power the speakers, by pass the amp, and change out the stock 6x9's.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
But how would you hook up the aftermarket HU to the stock HU in the trunk? Aux in? Then you would have to run RCA from new HU in front to stock HU in the trunk, then run new speaker wires from stock HU in trunk back to stock amp input stage at the front, which IMHO is a bigger pain in the ass than just using the new HU to power the speakers, by pass the amp, and change out the stock 6x9's.
The purpose of leaving the stock HU in isn't to hook up an aftermarket HU to it, it's there to turn on and off the stock amp. But like I said earlier, there are harnesses out there to replace this functionality of the stock HU, so you don't need to keep it around when you install and aftermarket HU.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, I fixed this heap of S%$t! I tore it apart and found the loop of wire between the head unit and stock deck. It looked like it was keeping the stock amp on, but when I disconnected the stock harness, the radio still played:confused: any ways, I cut the mess of wires out, and installed a Pioneer D3, Infinity 6 1/2s up front and Infinity 6x9s in the rear. Also hooked up the bluetooth module and Sirius tuner. By the way, I used the speaker wire from the doors, but I ran new speaker wire to the rears. Sounds fantastic. Also installed two 6" headrest monitors for the rear passengers. Total time: 3 hours. Next up is amp and subs. Thanks for all the replies guys. You got me going in the right direction. By the way, I have a part time job as a mobile installer, so if you need any advice or wiring diagrams, let me know.:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts