Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 3 is300’s rn, the first one, the 2003,
has a bad engine and a good body and the other one a 2005 is wrecked but has a good engine. Can I swap the entire engine along with the ecu over from the ‘05 to the ‘03 wiring harness and all? Or is it not compatible due to being different years. Both are automatics and have the same options aside from memory seats in 2005 and the 2003 just has regular electric seats. The third one I have is an ‘03 that runs and drives fine, and I happened to lose the keys to it and was thinking maybe I could take the ecu from the other ‘03 that has a bad engine and just use those keys to start the car. Is that how the programming of the key works? Any help, answers or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
4,161 Posts
You can still get a key through the dealer with some documentation. Not sure on the ECU swap. Never looked or had to do one like that.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
67 Posts
So I have 3 is300’s rn, the first one, the 2003,
has a bad engine and a good body and the other one a 2005 is wrecked but has a good engine. Can I swap the entire engine along with the ecu over from the ‘05 to the ‘03 wiring harness and all? Or is it not compatible due to being different years. Both are automatics and have the same options aside from memory seats in 2005 and the 2003 just has regular electric seats. The third one I have is an ‘03 that runs and drives fine, and I happened to lose the keys to it and was thinking maybe I could take the ecu from the other ‘03 that has a bad engine and just use those keys to start the car. Is that how the programming of the key works? Any help, answers or suggestions would be appreciated!
the ecus will swap but you need the right key for the ignition. might be easy enough to swap out ignition cylinders as well. all 02-05 is300s can use the same ecu. every key is paired to a ecu and the ecu needs to recognize that before alowing the car to start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could also get a valet key, that's what I did it work on any ignition system 02-05 but cant open trunk or glovebox.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the ecus will swap but you need the right key for the ignition. might be easy enough to swap out ignition cylinders as well. all 02-05 is300s can use the same ecu. every key is paired to a ecu and the ecu needs to recognize that before alowing the car to start.
Thank you! I’ll research a little more on the ignition cylinder and how difficult that is to swap over, but after trying to unplug the harness from the engine on the one car, I’ve well past the point of annoyed. So if I can just leave it all plugged in and bring the ECU and engine from the one car to the other then that would definitely be ideal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can still get a key through the dealer with some documentation. Not sure on the ECU swap. Never looked or had to do one like that.
I found a mobile key making company that will make and program a key for me for $200 and drive out to me to do it. And if I do the engine + ecu swap I’ll definitely make a thread on how that goes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could also get a valet key, that's what I did it work on any ignition system 02-05 but cant open trunk or glovebox.
I’ll have to look into that if I ever run into this problem again. Definitely would be cheaper than getting a key that has to be programmed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts