Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy has a "chipped" S4 with Exhaust. From what I've read, in his cars current trim, I'm giving up 100+ horsepower and a fair amount of torque to him. In a real-world test do I stand a chance or do I need to accept that until a supercharger or something similair comes along for us it's a lost cause? I guess we're fater then most but not all??

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sure you can beat an S4... with a large stick while it's parked in a parking lot... any other approach and you don't stand a chance.

It would be fun tho - challenge him and then run the same race in each others car.

·
Registered
541 Posts
A _stock_ S4 would hand you your ass. A _chipped_ S4 would spank it, tan it, then hand it to you on a platter.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Slapped silly is an appropriate description.

Patience young grasshopper, when the S/C comes out then you can do the slapping.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nah doodz, the IS will totally rule the S4...no question about it...LOL

the S4 will actually beat the **** out of you in a race and leave you for dead...haha

------------------
'01 Millenium Silver Metallic IS300

·
Registered
398 Posts
Even with S/C, the S4 is (if I remember correctly) an AWD. If a really good driver test drove the S4 and IS300 (with S/C), his speed after the apex of a corner will probably be faster in a S4.

In the same category however, (AWD compact turbo charged 4DR sedan), the lighter and more powerful Lancer Evo and Impreza WRX STi will be definitely faster.

·
Registered
259 Posts
After he's done beating you, go taunt him about how much his tranny sux.

The S line's transmission isn't their strongest point. Its like taunting a Type-S guy about FWD.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tell me about it. Really its only the earlier build 6speeds that have a problem with the 2nd gear syncro breaking and getting into the mesh. My transmission went out at about 17k miles, but luckily the dealer didn't blink and Audi replaced the transmission, clutch and flywheel under warranty.

There are 2 other problems which seem to have been fixed more or less. One is the throttle body boot tears and no boost is delivered to the engine. For reference, I ran a 15.2 with a blown TBB, and a 14.04 when the TBB was fixed..major loss of power from a $12 dollar part. This was when I was stock, and they have replaced the TBB part with a more durable material. No more problems even after being chipped.

The other problem are blown turbos. The earlier build turbos have oil starvation problems which cause the turbos to start building boost normally before oil gets to the turbos. While these problems usually only occur in cars with downpipes or those raced on the track, its still a problem and Audi is replacing the turbos with new ones that don't have the problem if they blow, even in heavily modified cars.

My S4 has only been to the dealer once and all the issues were taken care of when the tranny was replaced. The S4 is far from being Audi's most reliable car they ever built but God this car is so much fun. When I had my GTI and it went to the dealer, I was always stressed becaues VW dealers and service suck, but luckily Audi dealers/service is awesome. Even if something does go wrong, I know I'll get taken care of well

So the point of this...a stock S4 with a blown TBB would be a good race for you

Originally posted by F=ma:
After he's done beating you, go taunt him about how much his tranny sux.

The S line's transmission isn't their strongest point. Its like taunting a Type-S guy about FWD.

------------------
Zerin Dube
'00 Imola Yellow S4
http://www.imolaS4.com
APR Stage I EMCS Chip
Bailey Dump Valves
UUC Short Shifter

·
Registered
759 Posts
Some guy I know has a Stage 2 IS, I think he'll take a chipped S4...they put out like 360 hp at the engine right? This guys IS will have like 420 rear wheel horsepower by the end of the month, they are building it now, turbo, 9:1 compression, new fuel system.

------------------
98 Accord EX V6 coupe
AEM Intake, Comptech Headers, Random Tech high-flow cat, GReddy dual MX exhaust, BLTI Carbon Fiber Ignition cables, eibach springs, Axis wheels with Nittos, Wings West Spoiler.
15.1 @ 92 mph
2001 Lexus IS300 (Solar Yellow)
Coming soon: 12 second timeslips with the IS (my new all out drag car!)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ask the guy that Accord-R knows if you can borrow his IS for just a little while... then go kick the poo out of your friend's S4. heh heh...

Scott.

------------------
...yet another proud owner of a fully loaded Graphite Gray Pearl '01 IS300

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Chipped S4 would:

-Bend you over
-Rape you
-Then tell you that you suck

Does not have to be in that order.

Realistically Yours,

Lex

8-Þ

------------------
2001 SBM/Black IS300 w/Navigation
2000 BMW Z3 2.3
1999 Ducati SS 750(worked)
1982 Captain America Big Wheel

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I'm sure by now the poor boy gets the point...however I'll stress it again.

An S4 in stock form will unleash a nasty beatdown on you. An S4 chipped with exhaust will leave you salivating on your shirt.

BTW...Most of you know by now that tonight I will pick up my new car. However last night the good lord treated me to two good races as a way to say "farewell" to my veedub.

Both cars were similar in the way we raced..
Basically like this:
doing about 70mph in 4th gear..both of us down shifted to third and started.

I don't like racing my own kind..but this kid asked for it....A Corrado VR6. Seemed to me this kid had something wrong with his car because normally Corrado VR6's will hand me a beating on the highway. But I got him by about a car length by around 110mph.

About 10 minutes later on the same highway an IS300 zips past me. Naturally my instigating self flashes the highbeams at him and sure enough he bites. I am directly behind the IS and he floors it. I wouldn't say effortlessly i passed him..but it didn't put up as much of a fight on the highway as I thought it would.

No flames please, just wanted to share my last two races in my car before i trade it in.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Tie one of them Star Wars Pod Racers to your car and then you stand a chance.

Just curious...with all the subjective opinions put aside, what 4 door car (comparably priced) would give an S4 a run for it's money?

[This message has been edited by wazzup (edited January 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
541 Posts
For about half the price of the S4, the new Impreza WRX should give it a run for the money. The new E46 M3 (they should have a sedan version in a year or two) will whomp it...but for $10K more.

[This message has been edited by Young (edited January 19, 2001).]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts