Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ironically, after I emailed WarrantyGold to get a quote for an extended warranty, I started getting spammed by many different auto warranty companies.

Do these people sell their mailing list? I think so...

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
you should definitely not censor yourself just because its an advertiser on .net, both site owners are big on freedom of speech and the first ammendment.

ATLDave said:
Ironically, after I emailed WarrantyGold to get a quote for an extended warranty, I started getting spammed by many different auto warranty companies.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Best defense against spam is to go to www.godaddy.com and register your own domain for $8.95 a year.

Then go to www.zoneedit.com and use their DNS service (FREE) to forward your email from www.domain.com to whatever email address you currently use.

From then on, anytime you sign up for anything that requires an email address, use a different one for each service.

So for instance, the Warranty Gold signup would have been [email protected]

Then, from that point on, if you get spam from them, it will come to the address [email protected]

At this point, you can stop doing business with such companies if you wish, but even better, you can just go and delete that particular address from the catch-all list from zoneedit.com and the spam will never reach your inbox!

That is your free tip of the week.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HoustonLex said:
Best defense against spam is to go to www.godaddy.com and register your own domain for $8.95 a year.

Then go to www.zoneedit.com and use their DNS service (FREE) to forward your email from www.domain.com to whatever email address you currently use.

From then on, anytime you sign up for anything that requires an email address, use a different one for each service.

So for instance, the Warranty Gold signup would have been [email protected]

Then, from that point on, if you get spam from them, it will come to the address [email protected]

At this point, you can stop doing business with such companies if you wish, but even better, you can just go and delete that particular address from the catch-all list from zoneedit.com and the spam will never reach your inbox!

That is your free tip of the week.
I actually do that when I fill out web forms (I have several domains with catch all boxes) but I just emailed them a question. I hate to set up a new account to send an email whenever I want to...

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
ATLDave said:

Why would a vendor sell you email to someone to spam you with competing offers? That doesn't make much sense... You should definitely check where else you've submitted your email address. Heck, it could've been lifted from here.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
webmaster said:
ATLDave said:

Why would a vendor sell you email to someone to spam you with competing offers? That doesn't make much sense... You should definitely check where else you've submitted your email address. Heck, it could've been lifted from here.
It doesn't make sense, but a lot of companies do sell their data. Many of them make more money doing that than selling their own product. Just seems like a big coincidence that I never got spammed from warranty people until I emailed them, that's all. No big deal, I have a delete key. Just wondering if anyone else here had a similar experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
ATLDave
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing