Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-I have $11,000.
-I am unfamiliar with the Aristo Swap, but very familiar with engine swaps.
-My friend just got his license taken away until he is 21
-He will sell me his '01MSM bone stock e-shift w/ 93k for $8,000
-I NEED manual
-I obviously can't afford a manual swap
-Some more power would be nice

My question is, doing all of the work, including machining could I afford to do the Aristo manual swap if I sold my engine netting me $X,XXX? to add to the left over $3,000 after the car purchase giving me a Manual transmission and substantially more power than stock? Or should I just wait and spend my $11,000 on a stock 5-spd?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
I would suggest waiting for the right 5-speed to come along. Switching from auto to manual is going to cost a lot and be a lot of work. You can do a search on this site for the details. You can find a manual IS300 for around 10-13K if you look for the right deal. Save yourself the headaches and just get what you want right away without dealing with all of the hassles. That is just my opinion and what I would do in your case.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i mean...i've done the research and i'm learning more and more about the aristo swap every day. I have the aristo motor and an R154 available to me for $3,400. I'd barely even need to sell my engine. and the left over from me selling my engine would go to customization costs and any other costs that would inevitably come up. You all really think its a bad idea? I would love that power at my reach. The only reason I can't see myself doing it is because its almost necessary and much easier to go single turbo, but I could not afford to do that.

still looking for other opinions.

i'm pretty confident i'm going to do this, i trust myself, i'm just seeing if there is something i'm missing or looking for someone who knows better than me to tell me its not a good idea.

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
I've always heard that the cost associated with swapping auto to manual is never worth the cost of just waiting for a manual. The main reason being the amount of electronics in the auto b/c of the e-shift.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
If you are very close to your budget line though, there are always extra costs that go along with working on a car. Like if a tranny swap is supposed to be $3500 for example at the end of the day it may cost $4000

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought the reason the Auto manual swap cost so much was the wiring harness and ECU and connections with the engine. If it's already taken care of, don't I bypass those steps? I will have some leway in my budget, if i need a few hundred extra thats not a problem, its if i miscalculated by a grand that i might be boned

more thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts