Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I just put in an indash tv headunit and keep my stock speakers ? I was wondeiring this because I like the way they sound, but I think that they are factory amped. if this is true im not sure that they will still work fine. Also, can you mount the tv low enough so that it does not cover the heater/ac controls ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes you can, be sure you purchace a unit that has powered output (25watts x 4, etc...) The factory amp is built into the headunit. Do you have the factory GPS system, if so you will loose the voice features unless you do some modifications.

In most cases the screen will get in the way of the A/C controls. You can have the installer try to custom mount the unit as low as he can, but this will most likely be a waste of money, the screen will still be in the way. The dash kit for the lexus is cheap, like < $30.00

Chris

·
8,880 Posts
The factory Amp is located behind the glove compartment.
It will not work without factory HU.
Rear speakers pieces are actually 2 speakers on top of each other, each powered separately by the amp, unlike front ones, where the tweeter and Mid/Bass driver are parrallel.
You will need to buy a crossover to make them work.
You might as well replace the rear speakers rather than trying to work with them (that's what I'm doing).

There are 3 dash kits available. I recommend JDM (sold at .Net store) for it is better match than the other 2 (Metra Scoche(sp?)), however, more expensive. There's also only 1 button opening on it, so if you have heated seats, 2 buttons would need to be moved (best place is on the left of the steering wheel).

·
Registered
156 Posts
vlad... My bad on the amp location... Haven't dug into the audio portion yet of my car yet, just assumed since 99% of all toyota HU's have the amp built in...

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts