Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Looking to get the Eclipse AVN 5435

Hi guys,

Anyone who has experience with this deck please let me know how you like it? It has dvd and navigation all in one. I have a few questions for those that have it.

1) I hear the drawbacks are that it wont let u play dvd while using nav? Arent most (pioneer, Alpine) like this too?

2) How is the voice when it tells you what streets to exit and stuff?

3) How do you get updates on this in 2006 - onward for new streets, etc

4)How is the AVN 5495 much better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some salesman was telling me that the Pioneer AVIC-N2
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_3151_192089333,00.html

Is actaully better than the Pioneer AVIC-D1
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_3151_218219118,00.html

The reason is that the N2 has detachable face while the D1 does not. Can anyone provide feedback? I like the double din better, but am scared that someone may steal it without the detachable face options. Is Pioneer really that much more user friendly than Eclipse AVN 5435?

thank you

·
Bugaloo
654 Posts
I just got an AVN5435... I haven't installed it yet

From what I read and researched it seems like Eclipse is top notch! I'm sure everyone will concur

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brandon,

Yeah I was going to get that. But from talking to some folks they say Pioneer AVIC d1 or AVIC N2 is actaully better in terms of user freindly and more options.....like screenavers, backgrounds, etc

I kinda dont like how the Eclipse u must have the dvd software. If you lose it nothing will work. Any Eclipse and Poineer owners can comment please?

·
Bugaloo
654 Posts
jyeh74 said:
Brandon,

Yeah I was going to get that. But from talking to some folks they say Pioneer AVIC d1 or AVIC N2 is actaully better in terms of user freindly and more options.....like screenavers, backgrounds, etc

I kinda dont like how the Eclipse u must have the dvd software. If you lose it nothing will work. Any Eclipse and Poineer owners can comment please?
hmm... Shouldn't you be able to copy the DVD... I have DVD x-copy.. maybe I'll try it tonight.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok guys, tell me if this is true. The Pioneer AVIC-D1 is navigation ONLY, that means not able to play dvd movies (unless you hook up separate dvd player) I am looking for a double din that does navigation AND dvd movies.

I also heard that there is a way to bypass so that you can watch dvd movies while driving BUT that you cannot bypass it on the Pioneer AVIC-N2. Can someone verify?

Can the Eclipse AVN 5435 play dvd movies or vcd music videos without a separate dvd unit? I have been hearing both stories.. yes and no. Can you bypass it to allow you to watch movies while driving>?

thanks guys

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
VCD capability on Eclipse AVN 5435/Pioneer D1/Pioneer N2

Guys,

Was wondering if the Eclipse AVN5345 is capable of playing vcds? I hear that it only runs region 2 dvd movies, not mpg or avi files that you can download from the computer. Is this true? I mean, if it can play dvd movies, then it should be able to play vcds right? (should be able to play video cds in the cd drive)
Also I heard that on this one, there is NO WAY of bypassing it so that you can watch dvd movies when driving? Is this true?

I want to get a double din (ideally) and was also considering the Pioneer D1. I hear that that one does NOT have a dvd player (only dvd for navigation) So I would have to hook up another dvd unit to this, How come there hasnt been an "all in one" with navigation, cd,mp3 and dvd player all in a double din? It would kinda be annoying to put the dvd unit in the glove compartment or under the seat. But again, for video cds, should be able to play in the cd drive right?

Another suggestion is the Pioneer N2, but I heard that you cannot bypass it to have the ability to watch movies while you drive due to the navi gyro or something (like how you can on some other units)

Please clarify guys!

Thanks!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh, I hear that for the Pioneer D1, you cannot reroute (enter a new address) while driving? You have to pull over and park the car and then do it?

I hear you can do it on the Eclipse. But it wont run vcds?

·
8,880 Posts
It is region 1 for USA.
You can easily remove regions by simply "re-authoring" DVDs.
Forget about VCDs, just burn DVDs.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
The N2 owns the D1 as far as everything goes besides the double din opening! The N2 DOES allow DVD playback because of memory Nav while the D1 will only error out with a DVD movie.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The eclipse is the only nav unit with 24 bit dacs for superior cd play back quality. If your an audiophile, then the eclipse is the ONLY unit you should be looking at.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
af22 said:
The eclipse is the only nav unit with 24 bit dacs for superior cd play back quality. If your an audiophile, then the eclipse is the ONLY unit you should be looking at.

cough cough, NEW Kenwood anniversary edition!

·
Registered
150 Posts
lisnup65 said:
cough cough, NEW Kenwood anniversary edition!
i've never seen or heard any kenwood units in my area.

How do their normal cd decks sound sonically in terms of comparision with the high end eclipse/clarion/nak's?

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
All Kenwood headunits that feature the O.D.D.(Offset, dual Differential) DA systems use 24bit Burr-Brown DA convertors.

Just a FYI for the Audiophiles.

The 25th Anniversary Edition XXV-05V and the XXV-01D use Aluminum Electrolite caps for less leak in the power supplies, better sound Q and longer life. They also feature a Copper Shielded Chassis for improved noise reduction for sonic excellence. Sorry no double din unit though!

·
Registered
478 Posts
YO! whats up man, i just pm'ed you. We put the AVIC-N1 in my wife's car and ended up selling it. it was a good unit, but some of the things i did not like: #1 the software...my wife has a new RX330 and its the same software as my Eclipse. pretty easy to get use to both now. #2 only a single disc slot... that means that you either have to have one of the NAV discs in, a music CD, OR a DVD. no combination of the three (unless you drop the money for a changer). you can put the NAV disc in, lock in your route, but if your route varies, it wont re-route you. it will tell you to go back to your original route until you put the NAV disc back in. #3 its not easy to wire it so it will play DVD's while driving.

my AVN 5495 will let you do nav and watch a dvd, or listen to CD at the same time. it has the hard drive that the NAV info is on so that helps out with eliminating NAV discs and getting them scratched. there is a feature for you to update the hard drive also. just get the updated discs and download them to the HD. I havent had to do it yet tho...so i will let you know how it goes...and the voice is kinda sexy too...i just imagine she's hot

hope my biased opinion helps :D

rolo

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have to convert the mpg to a dvd compliant file then burn it. Takes a long time, but better than having to buy a separate dvd player to play all vcds and NON-region 1 dvds.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The eclipse is top of the line, it is also OEM for lexus nav.
The 5435 and the 2454 can not play dvd while the car is driving, it will only play the sound, safety feature, because it is illegal to have a dvd playing in the front of the car. However, I believe it can be bypass somehow. Also it can not look up new address while driving. This can be bypassed too. I think the way to bypass is by not connecting the speed sensor wire, OR making a switch for the speed sensor wire, so the nav will think that the car is not moving. This has already been done with an OEM G35 nav (my freind has one). Im getting my 2454 in a couple of week, ill let u know more when i install it. Pioneer sucks compared to eclipse, no joke, dont need to explain why =)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
^^5 volt preout on the 54...volume controls on the driver side on the 54....different buttons...

pretty much everything ive already told you...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts