Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found that there's alot of celica GTS and Type R drivers always tried to race me I really hate their driving attitude, they always think they are driving a F50.

But can these cars beat ours??

Anyone had really race with these car??

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Type R can without a doubt...the Celica is questionable. It's really a driver vs. driver thing.

------------------
I'll dump my Mustang for an IS...if and when they EVER make an IS coupe!

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Yes, and yes.

Now, if you were in a passing situation on the fwy, then maybe not (torque = good).

·
Registered
818 Posts
To hear those guys on NewCelica.org tell it, they can beat ANYTHING, and if they lose a race, its always because they missed a gear, or screwed up the launch

They all claim to have "killed" every IS by about "4 or 5 car lengths".

------------------
Justy
99 328i
01 IS300

·
Registered
112 Posts
The New Celica is light, and with 6-speed tranny(assume it's a GTS), it really runs at stop lights, but kill a IS by couple car lengths is nearly impossible. I would just keep driving if a Celica driver tries to pick a race. Not worth it wasting fuel on GTS....

Now, Type-R is a different story though...

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by El Chino:
but they're breakfast for an 01 Maxima!
The Integra Type-R will definitely hand the Maxima its ass, even the 227hp version. A Type-R properly driven can pull low-mid 6's 0-60 and low 14's on the 1/4.

------------------
2k EBP Civic SI
Working on an IS300 lease...
http://webguy.dcaff.com

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Originally posted by webguyIS:
The Integra Type-R will definitely hand the Maxima its ass, even the 227hp version. A Type-R properly driven can pull low-mid 6's 0-60 and low 14's on the 1/4.

A stock Type-R low 14's?! now way...best i've seen with professional driver is high 14's...around 14.7-14.9

·
Registered
114 Posts
B.S. Ask the type R that was messing with me at the Joe Di maggio hgwy. All he saw was a silver blur a 1/4 a mile away at the stop light on 57th street waiting for him. Is not how big it is ..Is how you use it...

------------------
Silver,Graphite, Black
Fully Loaded

[This message has been edited by Taino (edited February 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
127 Posts
i can't believe a "4 cylinder", "1.8 liter" can beat the is300. how come i don't that many type-r on the streets in south cali?

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by webguyIS:

with a good driver, theyll pull high 14s. how do i know this? i've see plenty of them run. anyways, the new maxima, with a good driver will also pull high 14s. as for the celica beating IS300 by 3 or 4 car lengths...maybe the IS300 wasnt racing him..hahahah

------------------
'01 IS300
'91 NSX
'95 Maxima

·
Registered
17 Posts
Type-R can beat an IS300? I am not sure about that.

Recently I saw a video that compares stock Altezza with other stock cars such as Type-R. When they did the comparsion with their acceleration, the Altezza was leading the Type-R by 2 cars length. Both cars were driven by professional drivers and the Altezza is manual.

I would like to compare the two cars by myself, but the problem is "how many Type-R on the street stays stock?" =(

------------------
Impact Yellow

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo Robin:
Recently I saw a video that compares stock Altezza with other stock cars such as Type-R. When they did the comparsion with their acceleration, the Altezza was leading the Type-R by 2 cars length. Both cars were driven by professional drivers and the Altezza is manual.
But isn't the Altezza RS200 200+HP and lighter than the IS300? Plus it could've been the Tom's 280T.
We need our japanese friend Altezza to help us out on this one.
Could you help us out Altezza?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Originally posted by rayray:
i can't believe a "4 cylinder", "1.8 liter" can beat the is300. how come i don't that many type-r on the streets in south cali?
It's a hard to get rare car

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo Robin:
Type-R can beat an IS300? I am not sure about that.

I would like to compare the two cars by myself, but the problem is "how many Type-R on the street stays stock?" =(

an is300 is NOT an altezza. and YES a stock type r will beat a stock IS300.

and type r's are limited production cars.

------------------
'01 IS300
'91 NSX
'95 Maxima

·
Registered
81 Posts
Okay... I am sure that the GTS will beat the IS300, but at a car length or two is more likely then 4 to 5... As for the Type-R... Damn... They are fast... But I could have get the type-R, but I didn't Because our car are much nicer than the type-R or GTS...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think for Celica to beat an IS300, the driver needs to be pretty good. I haven't driven a GT-S yet, but from everyone that I know who drove one, they said you really need to work the engine hard to get those acceleration.
Type-R is different, I think the car is lighter than GT-S and it is easier to launch and reach good 0-60 time. However, once we hit a corner racing either of these cars, it will be time to say bye bye to them. GT-S should out-handle the IS300 by a little margin, but the Type-R will just eat it alive.
BTW, have you guys watched the Speedvision Touring series? Those Type-R are killing the m3's, and the thing is that these cars have to be pretty much stock, so their performance isn't that far off what they offer from the factory. I start to have alot of respect for the Type-R now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why would you drag race these cars in the first place? That's not their purpose.

------------------
I'll dump my Mustang for an IS...if and when they EVER make an IS coupe!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts