Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've heard from changing cams would lower the RPM at idle.
so low to the point people say to turn on the A/C to raise it back up

then i cam across this video:

and i see the idle @ around 700-800 rpm

is this consider low? because the mods i have so far is SRT intake (with r-ecu) , headers, custom bpipe, hks axle back; and my idle rpm is pretty low.
normal its the same as the video...700 to 800
and sometimes its so low my lights get dimmer at 500 -600 rpm

why is this? is this good or bad?

thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Saint242; said:
Low RPMs to save on gas, I like where ya head's at :lol:

If your RPMs drop like that it's most likely an electrical problem. First spot I'd check is the battery terminals. Clean them off with a wire brush if it's corroded and make sure they're on securely. If that doesn't help then your alternator might be going, the spark plugs may need to be replaced, or someone may have fubared the electronics elsewhere. It's hard to say without having a full car history. But the top two are your everyday "Oh snap, my car is acting wierd and I didn't drive through a puddle :confused:".
I don't mean to keep on topic, but he's never mentioned that he's either *has* or *figured out* that he has aftermarket or off-stock cams.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
i have all of the NA mods including the 264 cams and my idle is perfect. I have even set my cam gear to -5.5 and it still ran fine at idle. there are a ton of things that could cause a low idle and without looking at the car and hearing it i cant give you a decent answer. if you gave a little history on your car and other problems your having i could help you figure out the problem. but cams alone shouldnt make your car idle like crap

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i have all of the NA mods including the 264 cams and my idle is perfect. I have even set my cam gear to -5.5 and it still ran fine at idle. there are a ton of things that could cause a low idle and without looking at the car and hearing it i cant give you a decent answer. if you gave a little history on your car and other problems your having i could help you figure out the problem. but cams alone shouldnt make your car idle like crap
i thought i'd never see the day when you were using something other than the stock ecu. please give details!!!

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
lol yes i do have the emanage ultimate hooked up right now and my idle is about 900 rpms and yes i do have bigger and better plans and i am actually planning to ditch the 264's and you know step up to the...........272's for my new setup :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
lol yes i do have the emanage ultimate hooked up right now and my idle is about 900 rpms and yes i do have bigger and better plans and i am actually planning to ditch the 264's and you know step up to the...........272's for my new setup :)
Damn Man and I just bought some 264s. we could have worked something out and you could have gotten your 272s.

Oh well...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also got the 264s with a cam gear, plus the rest of the usual mods, and my idle is always fine. once in a blue moon it sounds as if it will die, but it never has. I do have my lights on all time and most of the time i have the fan on 1.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thats pretty good for just cams ,cam gear and afc
where did you have them installed and how much ?
Im very lucky, my cousin is a ASC cert. mechanic, and he was able to install the cams and cam gear. The safc2 my buddy and I installed it. got it dyno tuned at GRD Performance - great local and reliable shop. Its near Elmhurst. Paid $250 for the dyno tuning

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
Im very lucky, my cousin is a ASC cert. mechanic, and he was able to install the cams and cam gear. The safc2 my buddy and I installed it. got it dyno tuned at GRD Performance - great local and reliable shop. Its near Elmhurst. Paid $250 for the dyno tuning
Very nice man ....Man we got alot of nice NA and boosted IS around chicagoland ....Ill have to look into that shop...How much if you know for just dyno runs??

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Wow. Thats good. Wish I knew someone that could help me with install so I don't get raped with labor at the shop. :( Those are the only mods you got? You don't have headers or anything else? If so, those are really good numbers you got there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Very nice man ....Man we got alot of nice NA and boosted IS around chicagoland ....Ill have to look into that shop...How much if you know for just dyno runs??

I do see a lot of ISs around, have yet to see a boosted one tho. I believe its $100 or $150. They have a dyno that they take your wheels off and set it up to the system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow. Thats good. Wish I knew someone that could help me with install so I don't get raped with labor at the shop. :( Those are the only mods you got? You don't have headers or anything else? If so, those are really good numbers you got there.
Yea, I do not trust any mechanic beside him and his shop. He is able to do a lot of the work in his home garage, says the IS300 is one the easiest cars to work on because everything is placed in smart spots (besides the oil filter:suspiciou)

I got obx headers, aftermarket b-pipe (from my first catback), hks hiper2 axleback and I just recently throw a Joe-Z intake in there. The dyno is before the Joe-Z and a real good MAF cleaning.

GRD Performance has "dyno days" think i might go there again after I play around with the cam gear a little more.

\We should get a few ISs to go. The guy there says there is a boosted one from Naperville that comes a lot

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
Yea, I do not trust any mechanic beside him and his shop. He is able to do a lot of the work in his home garage, says the IS300 is one the easiest cars to work on because everything is placed in smart spots (besides the oil filter:suspiciou)

I got obx headers, aftermarket b-pipe (from my first catback), hks hiper2 axleback and I just recently throw a Joe-Z intake in there. The dyno is before the Joe-Z and a real good MAF cleaning.

GRD Performance has "dyno days" think i might go there again after I play around with the cam gear a little more.

We should get a few ISs to go. The guy there says there is a boosted one from Naperville that comes a lot
Theres a bunch of us in the chicago area BS thread that got alot of work to do to our cars b4 they come out and two of the other guys Paul and Donnie paul is got boosted IS and donnie soon will have supercharger in his ...I will be camed with other goodies b4 summer hope to be in the 220-230whp range

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.