Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out with some friends last night, one of the ppl in the group had a modded z28. I rolled next to him somewhere in between 30 an 40mph. Floored it in third gear and was gone, woooooosh. I wont even describe it in car lengths because I just kept seeing his headlights go further and further away. Third gear roll is ideal for spanking domestics with all that low end torque.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
btw 2 other people where in the car including myself, one passenger in the z28. I believe the best run my friend did in his Z was a 12.7 or 12.8, minor mods :x. We ran a few times, only got it up to like 130 on some back road. Oh yea L , he will be taking his car to get some warranty work done and will be throwing the 100 shot back on, should make it very interesting but thats for another day 8) .

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah i agree with you, cuz the IS is real fast when you downshift at about 30-40, or any speed. but its not that real fast from 0. a friend of mines has a 2003 Infiniti I35, and on the freeway we both were going at 70, and we both floored it, and i past him. But that car has like 255 horsepower and 246 torque, and its front wheel drive too :eek:

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
everytime i read stories like this makes me wanna trade in my IS300 for a 350z :p :whine:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anything is low torque compared to the car in your sig. Were you driving that? If so, im surprised you thought he'd stand a chance.:) Good kill. I dislike Cameros and 'Rustangs.

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
I think not your 1.8t VW would be luck to not roll attempting to match the IS300's .91 G skid pad rating.

Britishboy3010 said:
I like my VW. I like it because it has most, if not all the features the IS has, but it costs 10k less. Oh, and its just as sporty.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Britishboy3010 said:
Britishboy3010 said:
I like my VW. I like it because it has most, if not all the features the IS has, but it costs 10k less. Oh, and its just as sporty.
That alone was worth 10k?
in my humble opinion, the $10g more in the IS is due to rwd with lsd (stock for 2002 and up cars, optional equipment for 2001 cars), superior brakes, better suspension...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does Lexus have a high premium for the title "Lexus"? I dunno. But yea, I dont think a Jetta could technically "compete" with an IS300, but it seems to a little. For less than 10g, it can surpass it. For 500$, you can match the Jetta up to mustang Gt's almost. (in accel.) Anyways, would it be fairer (better matched) to compare the GTI to an IS300?

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Britishboy3010 said:
Does Lexus have a high premium for the title "Lexus"? I dunno. But yea, I dont think a Jetta could technically "compete" with an IS300, but it seems to a little. For less than 10g, it can surpass it. For 500$, you can match the Jetta up to mustang Gt's almost. (in accel.) Anyways, would it be fairer (better matched) to compare the GTI to an IS300?
I suppose yes. i think gti is on a different class with is300; in my humble opinion, gti is targeted to compete with acura rsx, civic si, srt-4, etc. but i could be wrong though...

·
Registered
115 Posts
O3 said:
I suppose yes. i think gti is on a different class with is300; in my humble opinion, gti is targeted to compete with acura rsx, civic si, srt-4, etc. but i could be wrong though...
Man this thread got off topic fast!!! :lol:

Yeah.. I think the GTI is more on the same level as the RSX type S.

I think the IS300 is worth what you pay for it...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Black RSX said:
O3 said:

I agree.

I don't know why VW owners seem to like to compare their GTIs to cars that are much larger and claim victory based on price.

There's a reason why the GTI costs less than an IS300, and it's some of the same exact reasons why a GTI is less than a Passat, or a 3 series Bimmer is less than a 5.

Cars have classes, and they compete within their classes.

Sure, an Neon SRT-4 may be as fast and have the "features" of a Mustang GT for less, but the GT is larger, more powerful, and RWD, thus justifying the added expense.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Black RSX said:
O3 said:

I agree.

I don't know why VW owners seem to like to compare their GTIs to cars that are much larger and claim victory based on price.

There's a reason why the GTI costs less than an IS300, and it's some of the same exact reasons why a GTI is less than a Passat, or a 3 series Bimmer is less than a 5.

Cars have classes, and they compete within their classes.

Sure, an Neon SRT-4 may be as fast and have the "features" of a Mustang GT for less, but the GT is larger, more powerful, and RWD, thus justifying the added expense.

·
Registered
548 Posts
true... the vw is what it is, an ECONOBOX.

vw failed to develop the technology for astrong enough all motor combination for their 1.8, so they slapped on a turbo, which luckily opens the door for all sorts of easy upgrades BPU, APU, etc etc.

Its still an economy car :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts