Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my delima, as you know this cam gear cover is hard to come by. And during shipping it got cracked. How should I go about fixing it? Epoxy? Carbon fiber? Anyone repaired their cracked cam gear covers?

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
^^it wont be listed, you will need to contact them by email about the specific part.....

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I thought I could fix it but , for 1-200 I can just get a new one, I hope.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want the vvti bump haha. That one looks cool but I want everything to look "stock" :)

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
^^ Ok, just thought I would help. Sorry it's not what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^it wont be listed, you will need to contact them by email about the specific part.....
ok ,emailed them about it. I hope its not more than a few hundred :blush:
What did you pay for yours? You can pm if you want about it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Here's my delima, as you know this cam gear cover is hard to come by. And during shipping it got cracked. How should I go about fixing it? Epoxy? Carbon fiber? Anyone repaired their cracked cam gear covers?

fiberglass and jb weld you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marc, do you have the part number for it? They said they need a part number and if you already ordered one , then you might have it. can you hellp?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I'm assuming this is for your gte. These dont fit on GE's do they?

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
If it were mine i know what id do.

ABS epoxy or I would use 5 min epoxy to hold it together. Then I would sand it smooth but also have it built up so you can work with it.

Id then sand the whole unit smooth to match it, maybe plastic bondo it, primer it, sand it, paint it the same color or black.

If you do this correctly you will have

1. something you did!!!
2. something custom.
3. and something under your belt that you learned.

I love spending hours on projects, this could cost you 10-15$ and just some time, time away from tv or the pc is good for ya.

D

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
interesting ^^^ I might. I just want the new look with the TWO WAY TWIN TURBO all big on it . So I might be able to pull it off if I do all that, paint the letters chrome, then mask off the letters with tape and then paint the rest of it.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
That what id do, but i rarely ever want something new if I can make something old work. There are tons of tools for diyers out there.

D

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Yea i was thinking he should do it black. Epoxy and bondo is what i suggested to him. But i would make the cover black to match rest of engine bay/pieces (may change but who knows) keep what letters he can chrome He drives a BO with chome headlights. Unfortunately the chrome in the rattle can looks more like a silver than chrome so i would just go black with the letters that he can't take off. This will also get that white writing off of it. I think it would look sick with everything black and just the Toyota emblem on end left chrome

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I've been doing all my painting and masking this week on my cover. Let me just say...masking the letters is a PITA! It's almost there. Hopefully removing the mask this afternoon will give me nice pretty letters.

Reactions: IS_BoostByPsi
1 - 20 of 37 Posts