·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
scroll down

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I dont fully get what you are asking but that last picture is wrong the vvti has 2 marks you aways line up to a mark either the dot or the dash.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
What I did is line up both cams so the dash marks are on top (not the dot) and the crank was TDC. Then I rotate the engine twice clockwise and make sure when the crank returns to TDC the cams still lline up. It may take you a few tries. (you also have the rotate the vvti cam in a certain direction before you line it up I can never remember which if no one chimes in ill look for it)

To you first question you didnt have the engine at TDC so thats why they didnt line up originally.

Picture 3 doesnt look lined up enough.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sentinel said:
I dont fully get what you are asking but that last picture is wrong the vvti has 2 marks you aways line up to a mark either the dot or the dash.
i just wanted to know where the cams should be. in the picture 3, the dash marks are lined up with the camgear cover, its just a bad picture angle.

in picture 4, it is what the intake cam looks like AFTER the 30 degree turn. so i am guessing when i start my engine, i should turn it back so the dash mark is lined up, correct?

also, how do i get the belt back on the gears? its so freaking tight.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
you have to loosen up the belt tesioner. And I am confused ... what are you trying to accomplish? I sincerley hope you arent trying to retard timing this way. Our motor is a zero tolerance motor. even if you are one tooth off there will be interference. If you are trying modify your exhaust timing you need a variable timing gear. When you get one you want to retard 3 degrees. If you notice there are two marks on the harmonic balancer. The dots are to line up with the marks on the cam gear backplate. At the same time the first line on the harmonic balancer should be at TDC. When you rotate the crank, with a breker bar only!!.. when you come to the second line on the harmonic balancer then and only then should the LINES on the cam gears match up with the cam gear backplate marks. be careful.. and If this post is unclear give lexus of massapequa new york a call and ask to speak with a tech. They WILL clarify it.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Brandon, the crank has 2 marks a yellow slash and white one. Make sure the yellow mark is at 0 degrees then line the exhaust cam dot under the timing mark. Turn the VVTi cam gear all the way to the right and line the cam dot with the timing mark as well. Now slip the timing belt on, once it's on turn your crank 2 full rotations to make sure the pistons and valves don't make contact with one another. Once you do that, line the white crank mark at 0 degrees. The engine is now at TDC and both cam gears, the line mark not the dot, should line up under the timing mark.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
You have to remove the tensioner I assume you did that. It is tight and its a bitch, its very trial and error. So dont expect to get it right the first time. If you get it wrong just start again.

TDLI said:
i just wanted to know where the cams should be. in the picture 3, the dash marks are lined up with the camgear cover, its just a bad picture angle.

in picture 4, it is what the intake cam looks like AFTER the 30 degree turn. so i am guessing when i start my engine, i should turn it back so the dash mark is lined up, correct?

also, how do i get the belt back on the gears? its so freaking tight.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sentinel said:
dont expect to get it right the first time. If you get it wrong just start again.
thanks for the advice. i think i have learned this from past experiences and it is always good to be patient and try to get things right one at a time.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
does this look right? and does someone happen to have a picture of their cams lined up (to the dashes) and crank mark lined up with the white mark?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lambchop11078 said:
Turn the VVTi cam gear all the way to the right and line the cam dot with the timing mark as well.
i am not sure if i turned it all the way to the right or no...but if i didnt, then the intake cam marks wouldnt line up, right?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Myis300t said:
you have to loosen up the belt tesioner. And I am confused ... what are you trying to accomplish? I sincerley hope you arent trying to retard timing this way. Our motor is a zero tolerance motor. even if you are one tooth off there will be interference. If you are trying modify your exhaust timing you need a variable timing gear. When you get one you want to retard 3 degrees. If you notice there are two marks on the harmonic balancer. The dots are to line up with the marks on the cam gear backplate. At the same time the first line on the harmonic balancer should be at TDC. When you rotate the crank, with a breker bar only!!.. when you come to the second line on the harmonic balancer then and only then should the LINES on the cam gears match up with the cam gear backplate marks. be careful.. and If this post is unclear give lexus of massapequa new york a call and ask to speak with a tech. They WILL clarify it.
i am trying to put my parts back together after i installed the 2.5mm headgasket.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so here is the ultimate question:

when i start my car, which position which the crank and camgears be? should the crank be lined up according to the white or yellow mark?

and should the camgears be lined up by the dot or the dash line?

this is what i am trying to find out.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
TDLI said:
so here is the ultimate question:

when i start my car, which position which the crank and camgears be? should the crank be lined up according to the white or yellow mark?

and should the camgears be lined up by the dot or the dash line?

this is what i am trying to find out.
When you start your car up, the crank and cams/gears will be in a different position. It won't always line up at 0 degrees.

Here's the answer to your question on what should line up.

Crank pulley - YELLOW mark at 0 degrees
The DOT on both the intake and exhaust cam gear should line up under the timing cover marks.

Crank pulley - WHITE mark at 0 degrees
The DASH on both the intake and exhaust cam gear should line up under the timing cover marks.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ thanks so much. +rep for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts