Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I'll be changing my timing belt and seals this weekend. Its not only time, but I have a good oil leak on the front and my AC compressor is out, so I'll be quite busy.

Last night i laid out all of my parts on a bench and gave it a good look over. I noticed that the gates kit I bought included cam seals and the crank seal but there is no packing in the seals. When I look at the back they are hollow and there are no springs or whatever is usually in them. The two cam seals included in the kit are packed in sealed bags with a toyota sticker on them, while the cam seal was just naked in the box. The crank seal is more of a rust color (Viton, I'm guessing) and the cam seals are black.

Should I be going to the dealership or is this the new OEM? I called a local Lexus dealer and they wouldn't give me much information about what they had in stock.

Thanks!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Can you post a pic? I’ve done the job twice using Toyota parts. I’m pretty sure they all had springs inside the seal. Wonder if they are counterfeit parts?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That is exactly what mine looks like. Its the same color and everything. I can see what looks like a spring showing around the center. I'll take a look around the box it was floating around in and see if it just fell out.

Also I edited my first post. I didn't mention that this is the ever popular "Gates" kit.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I have seen some companies do there seals without tension springs. I have not had luck with them. When the factory has the spring. I would replace the one that normally has a spring with a factory seal.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Man you dont want to do this job twice like me using aftermarket seals. Mine leaked badly right away. Go buy toyota oem cam and crank seals. Its important to know not to deep set the crank seal. Just make it flush with the outer surface. There are oil drain holes which get blocked if you press it all the way in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the spring for the crank seal in the box. little tiny guy. There is a spring in the cam seals its just hidden under the front lip (likely as it should be). The dealer has a new crank seal waiting for me so I'll go get that today.

IM QUIKR, I don't think I ever though that far about the crank seal. I'll take your advice, thanks.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've gotten all my stuff through a Toyota dealer which is cheaper. the only thing that is IS300 specific is the water pump but it's an aisin sourced part so I get it directly from them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts