Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I concur.... Now I ususally park my car in the covered Millbrae Bart Station and take the Caltrain to work.

Save the wear and tear on my IS....plus the gas money. It takes a bit longer than usual by you can relax in the train

·
Registered
556 Posts
It'll be more worthwhile when they start the "baby bullet" service this spring. I wish they'd pick a less misleading name -- the train won't travel any faster, the *only* change is fewer stops. Anyway, with this service you can catch the train in Hillsdale, and the only stops before San Jose are Palo Alto and Mountain View.

The hardest part about Caltrian is getting from the stations to where you really need to go. In my case neither work nor home is convenient, but if this isn't a problem for you then Caltain sounds like a good fit. I've usually used the train on weekends (a service they haven't offered for ~1.5 years), so I don't know what the commute hours are like.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yeah armus, Baby Bullet is really a misleading.... I guess it is a Marketing kind of thing in place.

Well, some of the new train includes a power outlet, which is kind of cool so that I could plug in my laptop and work on my stuff on the way to work or home.

·
Registered
556 Posts
13s_is300 said:
but have you been on those traind they are comfortable as hell.
It depends on what you compare it to. Compared to Amtrak (e.g., San Jose to Sacramento line or Oakland to Bakersfield line), Caltrain is relatively noisy (suspension springs, and clacks from short tracks) and bounces quite a lot. However, the rail replacement and car replacement should address both of these (if they haven't already).

The "new" Caltrain cars have actually been around awhile (the other Bay Area service that's using them is the Ace Train). The seating on Ace isn't quite suited for long trips (e.g., can't recline seats, and the padding could be more plush), but Caltrain is likely using a different interior (and even if they aren't Caltrain's trips are much shorter) -- I actually haven't been in a new Caltrain car yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.