KDC-W4537UGY KDC-MP436U  
KDC-MP735U KDC-X791 KDC-X891
KDC-W7537U KDC-W7537UY KDC-X7006U
KDC-X8006U U727 KDC-MP9080U
KDC-X991 KDC-W9537U KDC-W9537UY
KDC-X9006U U929  

link:
Kenwood Corporation / firmware updater

I'm going to try to update my units tonight.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
looks like the update is primarily for ipods, and since i don't have any sort of apple product i guess the firmware update won't do anything for me.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Hmm I have the DNX7100 and was hoping they would add the ability to fast forward/rewind within a track on USB source like a portable HD.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Installed it last night. I went from 1.02 to 1.09. I'm pretty sure it indexes my USB drive faster now. Using switching from one flash drive to another after everything is booted as an reference, it indexs 1GB of mp3 at approx 3-5 second for me now. I THINK before it took around 30 seconds. I know the update makes no mention of USB flash read speed, but I'm really noticing a very tangible difference. If you guys like, do the same test with your old firmware then your new firmware just to confirm?

Reactions: altezzagita

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Also, this is a biggie for me. The random function when play USB flash drives works for real now! Haven't you noticed certain repeat pattern in the random function before, where it'll play the sequence 12346789, then playback 132457689? Yesterday, I cycled through about 40 songs, and no discernable repeating pattern yet. To me, this adds real world usage value! I was really getting tired of listen to the same 20 songs for 3 days in a roll even with random on!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Also, this is a biggie for me. The random function when play USB flash drives works for real now! Haven't you noticed certain repeat pattern in the random function before, where it'll play the sequence 12346789, then playback 132457689? Yesterday, I cycled through about 40 songs, and no discernable repeating pattern yet. To me, this adds real world usage value! I was really getting tired of listen to the same 20 songs for 3 days in a roll even with random on!

Didn't notice that, but I don't use that feature as I don't listen to individual tracks but rather 1 - 2 hour mixes.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
well if you guys say it'll improve usb speed then i'll give it a try i guess.
i'll let you all know if my 7019 moves faster after this.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you install the update after you download it?
unzip the file and follow the instructions in the PDF file
DO NOT turn off the power or remove the USB media until
told to do so.

disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you mess your deck up.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I updated my DNX7100, not noticing anything since I don't use ipod.

Still no way to fast forward or rewind within an mp3 when playing from USB :(

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Hmm, after more usage, I'm finding repeating sequences again. I guess I got lucky that night and the HU didn't want to stutter ..... crap. But for sure, USB indexing speed is improved over 1.02.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone... I also am using a large hard drive with the DDX8019. I just got the unit and overall I like it. However, when using the USB/hard drive the amount of time it takes to become usable (from the time I plug it in/turn it on to the time I can change songs/browns folders) is totally unacceptable... I loaded about 1200 songs on the hard drive, it took 6 mins before I could select go to any other song... and actually I have about 20,000 songs I want to put on the hard drive.

I have been reading this topic and it seems like I could use the update, however, I don't feel like removing my unit in order to locate the serial number. Could someone send the update files to me? or let me know a serial? I would really appreciate it: [email protected]

Anyway, even with the update I am concerned it will still take a while to index a large database. Does anyone know of anyway I can disable the indexing and just use the folder browse mode? Or let it index, and save the index somehow?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide! :)

Regarding the large hard drives, I have a laptop hard drive that I added a USB to IDE adapter to... unfortunately the unit will not power that, so I now use a USB External hard drive with a separate power supply. Maybe Mr. Monster is using a similar setup?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe if you use a WD Passport, no separate power source is required.
highamp welcome to the site, I can send you the zip file tomorrow (it's
on my work computer) if someone doesn't beat me to it yet.
btw, did you fill out the warranty card? the s/n should be on there... that
or check the sales receipt.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Actually, I have the 160gig version of WD Passport and it needs more juice to get going. The deck provides 500mA via the USB, the HD requires 1000mA at startup.

I got a dual USB power cable and a car cigarette ligher USB charger off of eBay for about $10 and ran a perm connection from the cigarette lighter which I don't use. All cables are hidden under the dash with a single USB cable going into the glove box where I keep my drive.

The serial# can be found on the box if you still have it.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Mr.Monster, what kinda load times do you get with your WD hard drive?
I only have a few gigs on it and I listen to full mixes so each MP3 is 100mb+, the load time is of no issue. I don't even pay attention to it, the last spot you've been listening to starts up as soon as the deck boots up.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I checked again and it does seem to be faster now.

I have around 80 files on the drive at 6.2gigs, took about 5-8 seconds for the files to show up after the unit booted up. The last track you were listening to starts right away even before the files are listed.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts