Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

the o2 sims are done & shipping very soon to all of us who have this setup.... you might want to drop aline to Eyakl to verify he has you o nthe list... & yer shipping info veriffied etc... it;s not like SOPME of us could have ... oh... i dunno.. .MOVED in the what 8 months since the fuking things were released for sale.... :-?

I am still seeking feedback from Specifically XERD header/ race pipe owners o nthe possibly buzzing you all might be experiencing with your system, again here is my issue:

I am getting excelssive rattling & buzzing out of it with so far two different exhausts systems mounted & two different resonator pipes tested........ my "Buzz" comes in during hard acceleration at around 3500rpm & fades at like 4500rpm...it is loudenuff to make people turn & look at what fuking civic with open exhaust/ fartcan is roaring their way...

It also comes in on " coastdown"... off throttle deceleration the buzz is loud at 4300rpm down to 3700 rpm or so...then it fades away...

This annoying exhaust resonance started ONLY after the header was installed.. .nothing else was changed... i have tried three different axle back exhaust systems... two different resonator/"b pipes" & replaced all the gaskets in the system & checked all the bolts from the race pipe backwards... nothing makes a difference. :pissed:

ARE ANY OF YOU experiencing this problem at ALL...??

is EVERYONE OUT THERE HAPPY with their XERD Header etc....?

they are telling me NO ONE else has complained.... :-?

Thanks for looking, I appreciate your help...
edward

·
Registered
424 Posts
Edgy you and I have talked about the same problems that you and I have, with the XERD header and racepipe. Damn that sucks bro the different exhaust didn't work. I tried getting in touch with Eyal. No luck at all, I don't expect the 02 sim for a while hell I've grown to like the Cel lol.

I will email Eyal once again with my address and stuff so I can hopefully receieve my 02 sim sometime. I get the same thing when I'am coasting to a stop at a redlight, everyone is looking around for a civic but they soon see my IS coming up.

The rattle I get is coming right from the middle of the Racepipe. Like you, I have tried everything but new exhaust. I've taken it to 2 different well known exhaust shops still can't find out whats going on.

Could everyone Please respond that has the XERD setup whether you get this bad rattle sound or not thanks.

Justin

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah dood this crap is just fuking ANNOYING the SHITT outta me

& yes it feels/ sounds like it is coming from the race pipe too......

I have spent $$$$$ on a completely new & different Exh syustem behind the race pipe & the fuking buzz is still there ... i have tried two difff exh silencers also in both exh systems & STILL that fukking buzz persists...

Eyal just asked me to swap out the stock Y pipe with the Race pipe & tell him what happens.... i will try that tonight... i have the energy... or this sat. if not..... :x

do you have the SS header & race pipe ...??

I currently have the SS header #0001, & the Ceramic coated Race pipe....

edg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Aight sounds good Bro. Let me know what happens with a new racepipe, hopefully that will be the solution. We will for sure then know what the problem is. Say if that is the problem then what about us that have the Gen I header and racepipe? Hopefully Eyal will Chime for us. Good luck Edgy.

Justin

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks bro... i will keep you posted.... I certainly cannot say anything about what Eyal can do for anyone elses issues... evidently no one else has had any problem or no one has complained about it.....

.....i'm sure it is all in my mind right??? i'm hearing things now....

:roll:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Eyal when you get this could you please check your email and contact me. So you can hear my rattle also. I'am not trying to be a ass, but I just want to get to the bottom of this and find a solution thanks Eyal.

Thanks Edgy I'll keep you posted my way.

Justin

·
Registered
101 Posts
guys,

I will help in any way i can and like i told Ed, if the products are at fault i will replace them free of charge.

Justin,

I have called you a few times and we keep missing each other. I will try again tomorrow.

You can always send the parts back to me to be tested, if they are found to be at fault i will replace them, if the parts are fine they will be shipped back to you.

You have a warranty from us, use it.

Eyal

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be swapping out my Gen 1 race pipe for the stock y pipe to test this latest idea..either tomorrow am or Sat Am..

I will post the results tomorow night or Sat afternoon....

edg

·
Registered
58 Posts
hello,
just curious, are these pipe hand built? if they are, maybe the varying cooling of the metal parts will def. change the resonance of the pipes, no? maybe the very few (i only see two people here so far) that have this problem is due to that property of the pipe. recrystallize all the pipes? that'll probably be too expensive. maybe local heat treatment to the affected areas might help. i'm just randomly shooting at it. hope this gives you ideas! best of luck yo.

edgy check pm (might help :D )

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I too also have the rattling happening. I don't like it at all either. The rattling is comg from where the header and race-pipe meet. Ed and I have the same rattling from the same RPM range. When RPMS go UP and DOWN! :shame:

I am still awaitng for the 02 sensors. Eyal my number is still the same, call me. You can PM me and e-mail me as well.

Simon

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
i love my system. i have grown accustomed to the rasp under decelleration. it could be due to the fact that we dont have any cats whatsoever and that its just unburnt fuel popping in there.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i'll be a monkeys....ballzac! :)

Eyal & i have been emailing on this lately AGAIN & last night he asked me to try popping off the Race pipe & see what happens.... he said if the noise stops we'll know what the problem is....! I agreed & I noted that i t seemed to me like the noise I get IS coming from the race pipe area...

BUT as the race pipe is a simple set of tubes welded nicely together,... I could NOT see how the header would cause it to rattle like that & that is why, over the last 3 months, I have been trying ALL SORTS of different exh combos after the race pipe to see if anything changed it... i've been under my freaking car with wrenches & skinned knuckles like every weekend since it i had the Header installed.... :roll:

.... well I couldn't wait fro the weekend, so i dragged my half asleep ass out of bed early & pulled the car in & jacked it up & proceeded to pull the race pipe off... :( kinda a bummer as this was the 1st mod i added that made noticeable power untill i got thje SRT.. :( .anyhoo i did the swap.. .pretty easy... about 25 minutes with a floor jack & jack stand... dropped the car.. .& hopped in & fired it up... sounded good a tiny bit quieter, less "rumble" so to speak... then i pulled it out from the garage, & drove it down the street & Punched it......... :eek:

... & BAM.... Da Rattle is GONE!!!

WHOODATHUNKIT!?!?!

anyhoo........ I will be touching base with Eyal now & seeing if i can get a new SS one to test & see if i can avoid the dreaded buzzy rattle....???

Eyal said to check the race pipe for any kind of rattling or looseness & for any sound like there was loose metal bits or something in there but the race pipe seems solid as a rock.... no rattles from banging it with a rubber mallett or tapping it on the ground....?????

While it looks fine.. .mabey there is something in it that is causing the buzz some how... there MUST be as it is no longer happening with it off the car........ i don't unnerstand all this shitt much, but i am STOKED that i no longer have the aweful rattly buzzy noise .. .my car sounds badass again, & I just hope another Race pipe will not do the same thing,... i can feel a slight loss in power... but not too dramatic... i'll let you all know what happens w Eyal....

guess it is time to start playing around with exhausts & B pipes again... see what kind of tones I can get from this setup...

I will report in with additional feedback as it comes to me ..

edgy

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
edgy said:
Well i'll be a monkeys....ballzac! :)

Eyal & i have been emailing on this lately AGAIN & last night he asked me to try popping off the Race pipe & see what happens.... he said if the noise stops we'll know what the problem is....! I agreed & I noted that i t seemed to me like the noise I get IS coming from the race pipe area...

BUT as the race pipe is a simple set of tubes welded nicely together,... I could NOT see how the header would cause it to rattle like that & that is why, over the last 3 months, I have been trying ALL SORTS of different exh combos after the race pipe to see if anything changed it... i've been under my freaking car with wrenches & skinned knuckles like every weekend since it i had the Header installed.... :roll:

.... well I couldn't wait fro the weekend, so i dragged my half asleep ass out of bed early & pulled the car in & jacked it up & proceeded to pull the race pipe off... :( kinda a bummer as this was the 1st mod i added that made noticeable power untill i got thje SRT.. :( .anyhoo i did the swap.. .pretty easy... about 25 minutes with a floor jack & jack stand... dropped the car.. .& hopped in & fired it up... sounded good a tiny bit quieter, less "rumble" so to speak... then i pulled it out from the garage, & drove it down the street & Punched it......... :eek:

... & BAM.... Da Rattle is GONE!!!

WHOODATHUNKIT!?!?!

anyhoo........ I will be touching base with Eyal now & seeing if i can get a new SS one to test & see if i can avoid the dreaded buzzy rattle....???

Eyal said to check the race pipe for any kind of rattling or looseness & for any sound like there was loose metal bits or something in there but the race pipe seems solid as a rock.... no rattles from banging it with a rubber mallett or tapping it on the ground....?????

While it looks fine.. .mabey there is something in it that is causing the buzz some how... there MUST be as it is no longer happening with it off the car........ i don't unnerstand all this shitt much, but i am STOKED that i no longer have the aweful rattly buzzy noise .. .my car sounds badass again, & I just hope another Race pipe will not do the same thing,... i can feel a slight loss in power... but not too dramatic... i'll let you all know what happens w Eyal....

guess it is time to start playing around with exhausts & B pipes again... see what kind of tones I can get from this setup...

I will report in with additional feedback as it comes to me ..

edgy
Doesn't the Y pipe have a cat in it? Maybe you need this cat in the pipe to supress the sound and or burn the unburnt fuel like Frydryce stated.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks Edgy glad to see that was the problem finally. I hope to speak to Eyal today since I missed his call last night. So he can hear my rattle over the phone.

Glad to know you finally got to the bottom of the anoyying rattle bro. Keep me posted.

Justin

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
did you try using a gasket? this may be way off base but could it be the flange not meeting flush and causing rattling? It could be sealed enough to not have a leak, but under engine movement it rattles. try using some of the "form-a-gasket" type that comes in a tube. this may provide enough cushion to eliminate the noise.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Header to Race pipe joint has a large metal gasket... you would need something EXTREMELY heat resistant to hold up under that heat & such...

I think one of those asbestos type thick gaskets would be a possibility... i wonder why they used a metal gasket ( copper?) Vs one of those thicker asbestos & what ever it is... nomex? kevlar? some thick heat resistent pliable material....

i have heard from another guy who is suggesting that there is an inherent resonance imbalance in the race pipe some where due to it's shape & or overall design..perhaps it is more a result of production tolerances & differences than a general design issue.... these seem to be hand made i thot...& it only appears under the increased pressure of the flow from a header.

New ideas, but it could be the basis for the problem we are experiencing

I know little about this stuff but i do understand the theory, & perhaps a more " cushiony" type of gasket that deforms to the bolt pressure & seals & possibly "insulates" the two pieces from each other might also help...

WHo the hell knows... i am getting tired of experimenting.... i am just glad it has stopped for now.... i just hope a new one will not do the same thing....

edgy

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
ed:
race pipe + stock header (with cats) = no buzz
and
header + stock y-pipe (with cat) = no buzz
so the common denominator is the catalyc converter? i'm siding with frydryce until further testing can be done.

i don't see any reason for a gasket of any material to aid in the rpm/torque specific buzz you are getting.

however, why does this occur on some cars and not others...

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
however, why does this occur on some cars and not others...

I hear ya Chris... I would LOVE to hear from some other owners that have installed both & DO NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE in their cars....
anyone....anyone....anyone at all...????????

Mabey Frydryce is right ... i do believe it is the much stronger exh. pulses that are causing this,...it is rpm specific... & i think it is apparent that the cats do affect these pulses as the exh flows thru the cats.... this could provide JUST the " Exhaust Pulse Energy 'Damping'" effect that "mellows out" the energy in the exhaust & prevents them from staying strong enuff to create that "resonant buzz" in the race pipe... If this is true, possibly a different shape or design of race pipe would also affect this & create a different result...??

like a baffle of some sort that affects the wavelength of the exh. pulses... changing them a bit, & keeping them from getting into the negative range...

Oh... my head hurts now..... :roll:

edG

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
ed;
now that you've explained in further detail what the sound is like, i do have that rattle buzz, i told eyal about it when we were testing, but he said the gasket will fix it (gasket wasn't available at the time)...

once i got the copper gasket installed between the header and racepipe, the rattle was still there. also, my exhaust leak was where the ypipe met the bpipe, and i showed eyal this (you could see the liquid spraying from where the ypipe and bpipe met) so he said he was gonna see if he can fabricate one for me to see if it helps...

after waiting about two weeks or so, i just decided to find one myself... couldn't really find much at the local autoparts store but a friend had one from his hks exhaust or uppipe or something for his wrx and he installed it for me...

my exhaust got louder instantly (the exhaust gases going through the muffler and not leaking into the atmosphere) and my car sounded noticeably deeper... this seemed to minimize the rpm range where the car would "shitcivic rattle/rasp" and minimize the coastdown rattle/rasp also... i was also told that the rattle/rasp is a byproduct of a free-er flowing exhaust system, but the gasket between the ypipe and b pipe seemed to dampen and minimize the range. its still there, but not as bad as before...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
edgy I also had this problem when i first put my header and y pipe on. I figured it was due to the gaskets or soemthing wasn't bolted on properly. However after much toying around i found out no matter what i did the rattle wouldn't go away. Since then i've grown to actually like the raspyness. Also, have you tried hearing your car from the outside? It sounds totally different, the rattle isn't there at all. Fron the cabin while driving u can certainly hear the rattle but i've grown to like it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts