Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all is300 -> is350 owners! Thinking about the upgrade; insurance helpp though

Hey everyone, I'm a fellow 1st gen owner, on my 3rd is300 now, just got this one, but I kind of feel sometimes it's time for the upgrade. I was in a car accident and my old ggp is3 was not worth fixing, and acquired an 04 tcm, sd. however something school/work related might work in my favor this year and i might be able to get an is350 very soon. i decided against the is250 just because i felt like it's no real upgrade over the is300 unless you're really into the features, but i want the 350 because of the huge upgrade on motor power as well as the nice little features; some more useful then others.

ANYways, the situation is I have noticed over the years talking to other friends about how much they pay on their faster/nicer/newer cars that the is300 is on the highhhh end of insurance for some reason! I'm 22, with 6 points on my license and insurance is just raping me up the butt!! :bah:

What I'm wondering first is if there's anyone out there that switched from the is300 -> is350 and want to share how their insurance changed and by how much (+/-).

I want the 350, I just really don't think with everything else aside if I can afford it if my insurance is going to go up even higher!

Any help guys would be very appreciated :)

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
25+ and married. =)

You just got that TCM bro....enjoy it for a bit, save up and find something you really want later down the road.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
i've got a better idea. why don't you get quotes from actual insurance agents? i'm sure most insurance companies will give you an instant online quote.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i've got a better idea. why don't you get quotes from actual insurance agents? i'm sure most insurance companies will give you an instant online quote.
why are you trying to be smart? If he got insurance quotes it wouldn't be accurate because the is300 would still be on the account and you get a discount for having more than one car on there. both prices would change

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
why are you trying to be smart? If he got insurance quotes it wouldn't be accurate because the is300 would still be on the account and you get a discount for having more than one car on there. both prices would change
You don't think an insurance agent is capable of quoting him for just one car with nothing else on the account?

But really, it's going to depend on where he lives (rates not only vary greatly from one state to the next but sometimes down to the part of a given city), his driving record, and possibly other factors depending on the state (both age and marital status aren't automatic price reducers in every state, only some)

Only way to be sure is actually give his specific info to an agent (preferably multiple agents from different companies) and find out.

He'd have his answer in an hour with several phone calls that way, rather than waiting around a week for generic answers that won't actually help him much on a web forum.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
You don't think an insurance agent is capable of quoting him for just one car with nothing else on the account?

But really, it's going to depend on where he lives (rates not only vary greatly from one state to the next but sometimes down to the part of a given city), his driving record, and possibly other factors depending on the state (both age and marital status aren't automatic price reducers in every state, only some)

Only way to be sure is actually give his specific info to an agent (preferably multiple agents from different companies) and find out.

He'd have his answer in an hour with several phone calls that way, rather than waiting around a week for generic answers that won't actually help him much on a web forum.
exactly! and you can give the agent multiple scenario and get the rate that best suits your budget. asking for our rates here and using it as a benchmark may not be the best route since variables that affect the premium (our geographical location, driving record, deductibles/liability limits/discounts, etc.) vary from one person to another.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went from IS300 to S2000 to IS350 - for some reason the IS300 was the most expensive, but then again I was 23 at the time. IS350 is cheaper than the S2000.

The wife and I only pay about $70 a month for full coverage in the 06 IS350 and an 06 RAV4 V6 4WD. But neither of us have points, accidents, or tickets and we are in late 20's.

Go get a free quote from progressive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't own a IS300 before but I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm 22 and am about to buy a new 2011 IS350 upcoming June or July. Insurance cost = $2500 - 3500 from every insurance company I called. I live in Southern CA, LA to be specific with CLEAN record except 1 minor accident that was 50/50 fault. Honestly, if you already have 6 points on your record with IS300, I think you should step down to a cheaper vehicle until your record clears out a bit. It's gonna suck if you get more tickets than IS300 and end up switching vehicle for cheaper insurance later on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts