Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you all find it difficult to shift without clutching? I've found that in the Lexus it's more difficult to perform as the RPMs have to be matched pretty well in order to have a clean shift. It's still doable but if you're not careful and you try to pop it in to gear without the RPMs being exactly where they should be you get that awful grinding noise and violent shaking in the shifter. I'm I the only one who has this difficulty? Thoughts please.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you all find it difficult to shift without clutching? I've found that in the Lexus it's more difficult to perform as the RPMs have to be matched pretty well in order to have a clean shift. It's still doable but if you're not careful and you try to pop it in to gear without the RPMs being exactly where they should be you get that awful grinding noise and violent shaking in the shifter. I'm I the only one who has this difficulty? Thoughts please.
I am sorry to say this, but you are not the only one with this problem. This
"violent shaking" seems to happen mainly in the 2nd gear. No matter how well you match the rpm, when you downshift to 2nd gear you get a shaking and crunching effect. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
so is this "shaking" just an overall flaw of the is250 6 spd? im looking at an 07 to buy but this upsets me i thought a lexus would be better

·
Registered
34 Posts
i was driving a 2008 6spd 2IS (long story why im auto awd now) and there were only a few complaints i had. one, when the vehicles between 1.2-1.5k rpms it feels like its seriously gonna die. two, almost sounds like things are juggling in the clutch. three, whenever i was shifting to second (up or down for turns) it was always notchy, but other gears were fine.

i never got the "violent shakes", but i definitely got a little kick, its just the injectors turning on again if you delay for a bit. i got some vibrations though, thats for sure, just dont know if "violent" is the right word to describe what i felt. :)

its a toyota tacoma transmission in there, i didnt expect too much from the start and it was something i agreed to deal with during the test drive ;) driving stick is much more entertaining though, half the time i wish i was still in the 6spd

ps. that clutch is REALLY long and and super soft

·
Registered
38 Posts
... Why not keep this in the main thread "Manual Fluttering" so we can keep the documentation all in one place... I'm approaching my lemon law with everything including print offs of everyone bitching about it on these forums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts