Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An issue beaten to death, but in regards to the IS350 and stick shift.. Lexus keeps commenting on "listening to the consumer" when making future decisions on whether to make this model available. However, how do we go about doing this ?

I called Lexus Consumer Affairs and talked to them, and the best they could do was offer to document my request. Apparently, they keep a log of these calls and can look into them when discussing future model modifications.

Is it possible for someone to organize a petition or to get a large group of people (i.e. the IS300.net community) to call in???? I think that is the only real way that we can try to have an impact.

Who knows if the real answer to the question is "never".. but it seems that they have at least left the door slightly open to the idea. All I know is that it seems this is the best thing we can do on our part to attempt to influence Lexus. It sure beats doing nothing... Plus it really disappoints me that the 350 won't have a stick.

Can we pull this off or not? Are people willing to spend 5 mins to make a call and voice the community's concern ? It doesn't matter if you don't think they will do it. Support those of us that think that we may still have a chance.

The Lexus Customer Assistance Center
1-800-255-3987, prompt #5

Ask to speak to Bob Carter (which they won't let you do of course) but then you can just document your desire for a manual 350.

What do people think?

Absolute
 

·
Not Officially Back
Joined
·
12,742 Posts
Best of luck to you... but all something like this would accomplish is proving to Lexus that their research was correct and there is not a big enough market to support production of a manual 350.

Even if 500 people call... thems small potatoes in the eyes of Lexus.

Maybe if you tell them you want it so bad you'd pay another $10,000 for it to cover production costs... but I don't think even that would make up for the added overhead of tooling up production of a manual 350.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,095 Posts
what will that prove...you can get 20,000 people to sign a petition, but the bottom line is how many of the will actually go out and buy the damn car.

Lexus isn't stupid, they are selling what sells and lets face it...a manual Lexus does not sell!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I think that 500 calls is a big number. How many calls do you think they get for other issues? (besides "why can't I get it in purple" & "I think it should be cheaper" calls).

I believe that most owners don't go beyond their local dealer. If they're logging calls for a manual (which they DID offer) I'm sure it would be brought up in a "product planning" type of meeting.
 

·
Mr. Negative
Joined
·
12,388 Posts
whoever said manuals don't sell w/ lexus is correct. it just doesn't go w/ all of their marketing, and they have a manual now so they'll just point at it and say "there ya go, get the 250." this 350 is marketed to a broader base of people at a higher disposable income level. those people will want an auto generally speaking. the only hope of a top end 350 w/ a manual would be some ///m3 competitor, which i don't see them making. maybe down the road.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,116 Posts
How easy do you think it'll be for somebody to "adapt" another manual tranny to the IS350?

Afterall... many people do tranny swaps right? I know from the Cressida forums I used to belong to... some tranny's needed to be "massaged" in. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,254 Posts
Underrun said:
I think that 500 calls is a big number. How many calls do you think they get for other issues? (besides "why can't I get it in purple" & "I think it should be cheaper" calls).

I believe that most owners don't go beyond their local dealer. If they're logging calls for a manual (which they DID offer) I'm sure it would be brought up in a "product planning" type of meeting.
I agree with you completely. 500 calls is a pretty big request considering, how many people take the time to call corporate to complain about ONE issue?

I'll bet all of us with the common 5 speed throw out bearing have only made 50 complaints to corporate and we're actually getting somewhere.

I think this is a possibility. I dunno if it'll make it to production but they'll see that people DO want the manual, even if they make it as an option. My neighbor has a 2002 mercedes C240 Manual and NO mercedes dealer stocks up on these, he had to order it, which Lexus should be available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,095 Posts
Crester said:
How easy do you think it'll be for somebody to "adapt" another manual tranny to the IS350?

Afterall... many people do tranny swaps right? I know from the Cressida forums I used to belong to... some tranny's needed to be "massaged" in. :lol:
with that VDIM intergrated in everything....FORGET IT!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,116 Posts
wingzero said:
with that VDIM intergrated in everything....FORGET IT!!
Is there a list which shows what systems VDIM incorporates?
 

·
Mr. Negative
Joined
·
12,388 Posts
Crester said:
Is there a list which shows what systems VDIM incorporates?
it is deeply incorporated into your brain, that I know for sure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,116 Posts
IS_Dude said:
it is deeply incorporated into your brain, that I know for sure.
IS_Dude... don't bring "beefs" from past threads into current ones. The "debate" in that thread belongs there. This is another matter.
 

·
Mr. Negative
Joined
·
12,388 Posts
Crester said:
IS_Dude... don't bring "beefs" from past threads into current ones. The "debate" in that thread belongs there. This is another matter.
it was sarcasm. lighten up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YellowIS300 said:
I agree with you completely. 500 calls is a pretty big request considering, how many people take the time to call corporate to complain about ONE issue?

I'll bet all of us with the common 5 speed throw out bearing have only made 50 complaints to corporate and we're actually getting somewhere.

I think this is a possibility. I dunno if it'll make it to production but they'll see that people DO want the manual, even if they make it as an option. My neighbor has a 2002 mercedes C240 Manual and NO mercedes dealer stocks up on these, he had to order it, which Lexus should be available.
Exactly. I think that hardly anyone calls Lexus to offer information (maybe a couple people a day?) So any reasonable volume would at least make a statement.

Anyway, like I said, you may have your opinions on whether it sells or not, whether Lexus will make one or not, whether its a good economic move for Lexus, etc. (I already addressed the fact that even cadillac can sell/produce a manual in this market segment; let alone BMW, Merc, Audi, Acura, Infiniti, etc.) But thats not the issue. I am just asking for support. What is your loss? Maybe 5 mins of your time?

At least I want the community to give it a try. Who cares if its effective or not. If 5 mins is THAT important to you to not support your fellow ISer's, then so be it. However, in the end.. what have you lost.. a toll-free phone call and a few mins ?
Its better than doing nothing.

I wanted to know, has anyone other than me actually called them up at any point to talk ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,254 Posts
I'll make a call for sure on Friday when I get back home... operating off of my cell now and the battery dies so quickly.

IS 350 manual better happen! thats all I have to say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
absoluteis300 asked for some help, hell I think we should give it to him regardless of the odds. We are fellow IS300 members and owners, the least we can do is back each other up on something constructive. Im in for this idea.Hell, we have had people here bitch at each other for longer than 5minutes, put some of that debating energy we use against each other to another use for a moment. I really would like a manual, that is what is keeping my eyes on the Infiniti G35c, which I really am not in love with anymore. I couldn't care how fast the IS350 is, it's not the same driving experince for me without a manual.

I will call tomorrow!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the help :)

But we need another 497 people :) hehe

Thats alright, Im going to start making calls under different names.. hehe.. can you tell that I'm obsessed ?
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top