Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a bone stock 2001 Lexus Is300 Diamond White Pearl which is my daily aka NO MODS.

I was getting my front pads and rotors changed at my local mechanic (first mistake, I shoulda done them myself). The bottom caliper bolt was quite rusted and as the mechanic was trying to taking it out, the head of the bolt broke off. He told me to buy a new bracket or new caliper w/ bracket. Most local shops i called do not sell the bracket alone, and advised me that I have to buy the whole caliper. At this point I had no choice but to buy a whole caliper from Arch auto here in NY. I did end up finding the caliper bracket at a local Parts Authority so I bought that as well.

BOTH of the new caliper brackets DO NOT line up to the spindle holes?????
The new bracket holes are too short whereas my oem one is longer.

Any idea what I can do? I also had an OEM GS300 caliper w/ bracket at my house from my brothers when he upgraded to a BBK. I tried mounting that bracket but that is also too small!!!

Where can I get a caliper bracket that will fit my spindle?? My car was bone stock and maintained by an older gentleman. I highly doubt he changed the spindle (which every store is telling me when i tell them their part doesnt fit) doesnt make any sense.

Was there a manufacture defect with the caliper brackets in the 2001?
Is it possible that GS IS SC calipers are identical but the brackets are different and these auto parts stores ignore the caliper being off and just use the calipers for those models interchangeably?

Please any and all help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Do not know if the brackets are different. I believe the calipers are the same. I have not ever had luck getting a bracket from the auto parts store. I would get one from a salvage yard. Then clean it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd return the new caliper bracket you just bought and buy a used oem one off ebay. Everything looks stock to me, but on a side note.... It looks like you're going to have bigger problems down the line with all that rust. GL

·
Registered
56 Posts
i recently bought a cheap caliper bracket from an ebay store because my caliper slide pin was siezed in the bracket. bracket never fitted.

i measured the holes and it did not match up to the OE holes by half an inch. at this point i just torched my bracket and impacted the pin out, cleaned and reused the oe one.

the ebay store did look at my pictures and measurements and refunded me. Im guessing theres a bunch of bad batches of brackets out there.

find a mech that can weld a nut to that broken caliper bolt and get it out with some heat or source an oe one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i recently bought a cheap caliper bracket from an ebay store because my caliper slide pin was siezed in the bracket. bracket never fitted.

i measured the holes and it did not match up to the OE holes by half an inch. at this point i just torched my bracket and impacted the pin out, cleaned and reused the oe one.

the ebay store did look at my pictures and measurements and refunded me. Im guessing theres a bunch of bad batches of brackets out there.

find a mech that can weld a nut to that broken caliper bolt and get it out with some heat or source an oe one.
This is EXACTLY what happened to me. I am picking up an OEM used caliper to see if it will fit. If not, I will have to go with the route you went with and take the seized bolt out and re-use my oem one.

As for everyone else commenting on the rust, as you can tell its a Northeast car and rust is a major issue up here. I will get that spindle swapped out for a cleaner one.

Thanks for everyone on the input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up a used 2001 IS300 OEM caliper+bracket from the junkyard.

The bracket fit perfectly.

They must be swapping brackets between the GS and IS with these aftermarket brands.

Glad this dilemma is over with.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
For those coming back to this thread, bring your caliper brackets to the auto parts store with you and try to match the mounting holes to the new bracket. I had this issue with two different sets of calipers today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts