Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing??? Does ot work well or will is scratch the clear coat?

------------------
Straight up in my 01'BlueMicaBlack

All Flava

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
White, I have been using the CWB since I bought my IS in August. I have been very pleased with the product. It saves quite a bit of time compared to a chamois.

Some folks have expressed concern that the CWB could scratch the paint. I have not found this to be the case (for one thing, I make sure the car is completely clean before I use it).

I purchased it over the net but found out later that they have them at Target.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Run! Run until it can't see you any more!

The blade, no matter how "soft" its material, will drag every piece of dirt it encounters across your finish along with the water you are trying to take off. You will *still* need to towel of the remaining water to avoid water spots, so what's the point?

I use a P21S drying towel to great effect. It is so non-abrasive, even compared to a 100% cotton cloth, that you can't remove excess wax with it! I soak up 80% of the water with a couple of quick passes, wring it out, then go back and remove the rest for a perfect finish.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
one of my friends with an FD3S (3rd gen RX-7) uses the blade on his car...and it's black. his finish still looks okay. i thought it would be all scratched up by now. no idea why this product works the way it does...the blade that is...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
98 MB CLK 320 white
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop/black
90 Integra pearl white

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
To use the CWB effectively, you need to clean the car thoroughly so you won't drag dirt across the body. The advantage of the CWB is that you can move quite a bit of water quickly. Always, there will be some tough spots to dry out, so a towel or something will effectively complement the CWB. I think the CWB and the Absorber used together is a good combo.

The blade is made of "surgical silicone" so it's softer than a cotton towel (according to the packaging).

·
Registered
242 Posts
First, you could just query AltaVista for the P21S, but I know for instance that http://www.carcareonline.com/ has it.

Second, "soft" though the blade may be, if whatever dirt it does pick up isn't pulled away from the finish then it will scratch. The P21S is an artificial chamois and does not hold dirt against your finish like the blade (in my experience) can.

Third, I am glad your friend's black finish still looks okay, but I tried the blade on my older Accord then on my new SBM and I was NOT happy, hence my opinions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the CWB as well. I use it to get the excessive water out and then dry it completely with a 100% terry cloth...and no scratches. I like it cuz it cuts the drying time almost in half compared to just using a towel or chamois. But again the important thing is to make sure the car is clean and free from dirt. Also if anyone plans on trying the P21S(another good product), I heard that you need to read the instructions carefully in order to be use effectively since the towel comes inside a container already wet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think they're great myself. An old trick is to use a leaf blower to blow all the water out of the door jambs etc, and then use the blade. That way you never have to use a towel. If you ask me, there is less of a chance for dirt to scratch when pulled by the blade then when stuck in a chamois.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
01 Toyota Sequoia Limited
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by mkaufman:

Third, I am glad your friend's black finish still looks okay, but I tried the blade on my older Accord then on my new SBM and I was NOT happy, hence my opinions.
M- Maybe it has to do with the dark color because I've had no problems with Silver. (You make it sound like we're all using sandpaper on our beloved car
)

I also have faith that a pretty successful product wouldn't have all of us fooled...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I just got it and think it works great for removing standing water, still needs to be toweled. You will scratch your car as much or more with a chamois, I think it is almost irrelevant but then again I never keep my cars long either.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
NEVER NEVER NEVER use it.

Someone spent a lot of time working for the cash to buy this car.

You should put in a little extra time to take care of it.

Regardless of whatever anyone says, even towels or chamois will scratch your car.
You just have to choose the degree of scratchiness. If you don't mind scratches, then by all means, save a couple minutes and use the CWB.

2 cents.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Just by the way it looks I would never use it.

------------------
White Diamond IS300

·
Registered
150 Posts
works fine here.

Just need to use it properly. Never ever use it if you did not throughly clean your car.

Once you clean your car, Make sure you wet and clean the Blade itself. You don't want any dirt on the blade. Then do a pass on your car. I usually run my fingers along the CWB's edge after every pass to get rid of the excess water and to make sure that there was no dirt on the edge.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
my cousin has a tundra and uses it on that...no problems...saves a lot of time...then uses and absorber for the little water that remains.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Originally posted by SophieSleeps:
NEVER NEVER NEVER use it.

Someone spent a lot of time working for the cash to buy this car.

You should put in a little extra time to take care of it.

Regardless of whatever anyone says, even towels or chamois will scratch your car.
You just have to choose the degree of scratchiness. If you don't mind scratches, then by all means, save a couple minutes and use the CWB.

2 cents.
Then why do you propose we use?

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
01 Toyota Sequoia Limited
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was thinking of buying one too. I saw it in a mag. advertisement that they sell it online, but now u can buy it at Target's? Anywhere else and how much is it?

------------------
2000 Eclipse GT ~Sportronic

·
Registered
226 Posts
umm...when my mom just bought her BMW 325 convertible she went around to professional detailer places and asked what they used on car. Most of used the CWB and highly recmmended it. They also highly recommend the cali. car duster but thas a diff. topic. She boughtthe blade, and it works great, the thing you really have to becareful of is that there is absolutly no dirt on the blade or the car, cause it will scratch it. Unfortunly my mom put a few in her bimmer cause she pushed so damn hard on it too, you dont need to push that hard on it, just enough to scrape off the water. and use towels to clear off the excess, it saves you from drenchin all the towels. i recommend it, and i think it works really great, just take care when using it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts