Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I'll be moving to sunny SoCal here in the next few months and I am a little worried about the pollution standards there... Can anyone fill me in on what's required to pass inspection, and what will definitely not pass? Of course I'd love to hear from anyone whose managed to pull off something that would usually trip a red flag as well... I know PLP's website says this about their superchargers: "This product is not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution controlled motor vehicle" and I've also heard that using aftermarket headers can be a problem...

·
Registered
285 Posts
siamesecyborg said:
It looks like I'll be moving to sunny SoCal here in the next few months and I am a little worried about the pollution standards there... Can anyone fill me in on what's required to pass inspection, and what will definitely not pass? Of course I'd love to hear from anyone whose managed to pull off something that would usually trip a red flag as well... I know PLP's website says this about their superchargers: "This product is not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution controlled motor vehicle" and I've also heard that using aftermarket headers can be a problem...
Californai regs are VERY strict to say the least. Yes you will have problems with the headers, exhaust and everything else. None of the aftermarket parts offered for the IS300 do not have CARB numbers therefore making it even harder. You will fail visual definitely. I can't talk for the rest of the .netters here but i'm just quoting what i have read in the past threads in regards to your question.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Modding any car in Cali is a NO NO these days. But who cares, you only live once.
I have pass on only exhust. They mad me take out the intake. Worry about inspection
stick w/ simple bolt ons.

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
RanFerr_is300 said:
None of the aftermarket parts offered for the IS300 do not have CARB numbers therefore making it even harder.
I wouldn't say None.

Injen, HKS, Greddy all have CARB Legal numbers, or have certificates pending CARB numbers.

As long as the part has a CARB Legal sticker/number attached to it. It will pass inspection.
Don't take this info as "oh, I can just stick a CARB Sticker on my SRT Intake and it will pass" mentality. They know what to look for. So Cal cops are trained to identify brands associated with CARB exemptions.
When you take your car in for a smog test, it has these aftermaket parts, the smog technician will enter into the computer system as your car being "modified".

If you want to avoid all this, I would take all the parts off and put it back to stock. After inspection and registration re-install those parts.

·
Registered
285 Posts
kraze8 said:
I wouldn't say None.

Injen, HKS, Greddy all have CARB Legal numbers, or have certificates pending CARB numbers.

As long as the part has a CARB Legal sticker/number attached to it. It will pass inspection.
Don't take this info as "oh, I can just stick a CARB Sticker on my SRT Intake and it will pass" mentality. They know what to look for. So Cal cops are trained to identify brands associated with CARB exemptions.
When you take your car in for a smog test, it has these aftermaket parts, the smog technician will enter into the computer system as your car being "modified".

If you want to avoid all this, I would take all the parts off and put it back to stock. After inspection and registration re-install those parts.
^^thanks for the correction ;) . I didn't mean to say "none of them don't have CARB #'s" it's just that MOST of them do not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the good info so far... How often do you need to run smog tests in California? Once I've registered the car, is there a set time when the next test is scheduled for or is it somewhat random (as in Illinois ~every 2 years)

·
Registered
578 Posts
we do smog check every 2 years and you might need a smog check when u register your car to the dmv since your coming from another state but them again i might be wrong. kali is getting very strict when it come's to smog check but they are other ways to make you car pass as well ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts