Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, the jdm shop near me has recieved their new shippment of engines.
I'll be going there before the weekend to pick out my GTE motor.
The dude with the thick accent from the shop said he has 94+ ARISTO, VVti engines. From what I've read so far, VVti Aristo motors only came in 1998+... correct???
1998+ Aristo, VVTi motors have a front sump oil pan-correct???
Anything else I should look for to make sure that I'm getting a 1998+ Aristo
engine( JZS161)?
Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
look for the bump on the front of the valve cover. The bump is there for the larger vvti cam. The non vvti motor has a flat front.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
What are the issues with the 93-98 non VVTI engines aside from the lack of VVTI? The Aristo engines are still front sump.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have done both swaps with and with out the vvti.
Everytime someone asked me if I was building a whole other car from scratch, which would I do. Bar none I go with the non-vvti. It depends on how seriose you are about your swap. I have none zero zilch of the problems that I had with the vvti set up. I also have been through multiple set ups.. check out my signature

·
Registered
342 Posts
if your going to piggyback the stock computer and use mild boost with no plans of really beating on the car hard I find that the vvti will be just fine.
If you plan on going standalone and getting cams, strocker, big power, or any kind of aggressive build I would say go ahead and get the non-vvti.

I hope this gives you some kind of direction as the post above was a little vague

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you had no problems with the VVTi set up, why do you like the NON-vvti better?

Did you wire in a non-vvti ECU with the non-vvti swap?
I have my stock ecu doing two functions(starter relay and tachometer to the dash). That is the only thing it does. Other than that I have an AEM for the supra, with a supra wire harness running the engine. They do not share more than the tach signal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if your going to piggyback the stock computer and use mild boost with no plans of really beating on the car hard I find that the vvti will be just fine.
If you plan on going standalone and getting cams, strocker, big power, or any kind of aggressive build I would say go ahead and get the non-vvti.

I hope this gives you some kind of direction as the post above was a little vague
What is you defination of mild boost in terms of WHP?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wonder how many people have gotten their car to actually run properly on the emanage ultimate. I remember all the trouble that thing gave me. ITs like a gateway drug into a standalone

·
Registered
161 Posts
not to thread jack, but for people who have purchased aristo motors, what was your experience with their reliability? i've been on the fence of either buying a swap or just building my GE motor, and my only worry is if i would need to completely tear the GTE motor apart to make sure its in good shape. doesnt make much sense to buy a motor im going to rip apart when i already have one. only going for about 400 hp on a built auto tranny, but reliability is my main concern.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.