Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to say it but deal or no deal, I've found a loaded 2001 IS for around $10,000. Sounds great but it has 135,000 miles on it. So here's my question, being as (hopefully :p ) all of you have experience with this vehicle is it more likely to keep running until I can do a lower half supra swap a month or three after I buy it or am I going to be under the hood more often than not saying things that would make baby Jesus cry?

·
Registered
41 Posts
$10,000! for a car that has 140,000 on it?!?! I see IS300's over here with high mileage in the 978 and they are selling them for cheap. I even got my 2004 e-shift TCM IS300 SD w/LSD for $21,000. I would take a lloonngg test drive and drive it to a mechanic that you trust to check it out. It could be $10,000 but if you have to do $10,000 in work your screwed with a 10,000 dollar car that cost you 20,000

·
Registered
620 Posts
Mileage is only an indicator of how long the car has been on the street. It doesn't necessarily mean that the car must be extremely damaged or abused.

I'd just drive it around with a little bit more spirited driving attitude, and perhaps have a third-party mechanic take a look at minor things like the brake disks & calipers, radiator hose, oxygen sensors, OBDII reading, and such. (All of these can be done with somewhere between 50 - 75 dollars.)

Most importantly, make sure that you FEEL the car yourself. Don't let anyone sway your decision.

·
Registered
575 Posts
it's a toyota.
couldnt have said it better then that, its a toyota buddy, mileage is nothing, just try the car and make sure you like it, definately get it inspected, but dont be concerned about the odometer, ive had my IS for less then 10 months, and put 24,000 km on it already (15,000 miles) which is more then average car gets in a year, doesn't mean shes gonna break down in three years ;) good luck wit the car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts