Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody bought a service loaner IS300? There are a few at this dealer in Houston and they seem to be in good shape. All the mechanical records are good and the service has been done to them. Some are CPO as well. There is one I am looking at for my fiancee and we both like it. we drove it and it performs pretty good for an automatic. It is selling for $21,995 and in good condition, but I am not sure if it's CPO or not. Is there anything that I should look out for? We are planning on trading in her 02 Accord for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but wouldn't the lexus dealer at least keep them maintained? hell, I abuse my M3 when I auto-x it twice a month, but it I make sure that it's maintained. THe service records I saw had a decent amount of maintenance done on it.

·
8,852 Posts
I bought a loaner Toyota Corolla before. It only had 5K miles at the time of purchase. That car served me well, did not have any problems.

Keep in mind, this board represents only a fraction of LEXUS owners, most of which are older generation.

I think it is a safe bet. Just make sure the car has not been in any accidents. The best way to tell is by feeling edges of the car to see if the paint is smooth.

·
Registered
385 Posts
vlad_a said:
I think it is a safe bet. Just make sure the car has not been in any accidents. The best way to tell is by feeling edges of the car to see if the paint is smooth.
& by asking them. Legally, they are obligated to fully disclose whether the car has been in an accident if you ask them. If they say no accidents & you later find out otherwise, they're in trouble.

·
Not Officially Back
12,292 Posts
vlad_a said:
Hrmm I dunno man, if 99 grandmas and 1 crazy guy drive the loaner, it can still be all beat to hell just by that one guy's driving.

I am that one guy. :chill:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
dasgalloway said:
vlad_a said:
Hrmm I dunno man, if 99 grandmas and 1 crazy guy drive the loaner, it can still be all beat to hell just by that one guy's driving.

I am that one guy. :chill:
I guess he missed the earlier "neutral dropping" story in that other guys thread. :lol:

I abuse my loaners. Don't but it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Loaners are great for neutral drops!!! :eek:

How many miles are on it??? I'm not sure but it seems like you should be able to get a better deal then 22k on an '01. Especially with the uncertanty of what it has been through. If you go through with it, you should use that as leverage to beat them down on the price another couple of thousand. Don't go by the blue book...you should be able to get it for far less than that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it has 28k miles on it. it was listed for $25,995 then they lowered it to 21,995. they have several to choose from that range from $21995-24995. I want to talk to the sales guy some more so that I can lower the price a little bit.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
22k miles on a loaner? That's a lot of hard miles.

The only way I would buy is with a fully extended warranty and a few k off the price. I wouldn't pay over 20k OTD for it. You can buy used from privately in a known condition within the $21k - $22k range.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Sounds prety good to me. I don't think the price is far of at all. Very reasonable price from a dealer. As far as the car being abused i wouldnt worry about it too much. Any car you buy couldhave been abused by previous owners. Like sonmeone else said, most lexus owners are older and simply use the loaners to drive and don't beat on them. Whos to say that if you buy an IS that was privately owned it hasnt had its share of abuse runs by valets or service techs. :-?

·
Premium Member
16,578 Posts
Wouldn't running a CarFax check be a worthwhile precaution?

·
8,852 Posts
jruhi4 said:
Wouldn't running a CarFax check be a worthwhile precaution?
No.

·
11,054 Posts
Well, the price is fair...at least it would be in my area. If the car is in good shape I wouldn't be afraid of it. After all, you KNOW who the previous owner is and additionally, they have an interest in keeping you happy so you will come and buy another one. Most of the folks who drove the loaner were old guys that dropped of their LS's for service anyway. If the car isn't dinged up, it probably hasn't had such a hard life. If it doesn't have much in the way of paint chips on the hood, you can bet it didn't get much freeway running though...mostly hard, local miles. But then, you KNOW the oil was changed on schedule...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.