Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who is interested in SoCal.

My brother, g/f, and i are going to buttonwillow for their "Performance Driving Clinic" this upcoming sunday the 27th. if anyone is interested in going please feel free to join. it is 175 bucks for the day. from 830am to 430 pm with a one hour lunch.

i talked to the people there and the schedule is 45min class, track with instructor driving, track with you driving and instructor in car. then lunch break. afterwards after lunch the track is open.

if you are intersted please let me know, maybe we can caravan to go there.

www.buttonwillowraceway.com

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh well... guess no one went from here. it was a great day besides the 105 outside temp :)

as this was my first track day in the is300 i was really surprised to find out the capabilities of the car. the way i have it setup right now is very neutral and the car just stuck to the ground. there were a couple of times that i slid a little, but it slid all four wheels and kept the line.

even my instructor gave me props on the car. he was pleasantly surprised with the handling of it..... while he was scaring the shit out of me by running through the track like a pro. wow sitting in the passenger seat is just amazing watching a pro.

i am very impressed with the is300!!!

btw... the outside of my tires were never really scrubbed that hard. most topics i read all complain that there is too much scrubbing on the outside. can someone explain.? TIA... i was running 45 out of 51 psi all around.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sounds like fun. To answer you tire question, you should not be running such high pressures for road racing events. 32 - 33lbs (cold) should do it for stock tires. High pressures like you mentioned are only ideal for autox where your tires don't have time to heat up.
As your tires warm up after a couple laps, they will raise approx 7lbs. Your outside edges are wearing mostlikely due to alignment. I am running close to 2 deg of negative camber to get flat contact patches, thus even tire wear.

Isn't it great being a passenger with a good driver. I have had instructors drive my car faster than I ever thought it could go. Very humbling experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts