Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have about 2200 miles on my car and i was wondering if it was ok to do burnouts at stoplights and stuff.

i usually hold the brake and gas up to about 5k rpm and then floor it with the brake on and let go of the brake for some burn outs.

and when i make u turns i sometimes floor the gas just when i reach the apex of the turn and i kinda drift.

will it wreck my car more quickly or ??

[This message has been edited by Master (edited November 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
442 Posts
Burnouts your putting stress on the tranny when you do that. Not sure how much though.

Drifting might wear your tires out faster and maybe your shocks. But the big damage will come if you nail a curb....then your kinda f#cked

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by Master:

i usually hold the brake and gas up to about 5k rpm and then floor it with the brake on and let go of the brake for some burn outs.

B]

How to you get 5K RPMS even when floored with the brakes on (at a stand still)? That's not possible..
Eric...

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
oh please. give me a break, a 5k launch? you're either

1) very dumb
2) don't know crap about cars
3) crazy

the IS wasnt' designed for such abuse so stop trying to drive it like its a street legal race car or something.

p.s. have fun wrapping your IS around a pole. keep the stupid stuff off the streets

[This message has been edited by mrclam (edited November 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:

How to you get 5K RPMS even when floored with the brakes on (at a stand still)? That's not possible..
Eric...

What Eric said. Ever heard of a torque converter? How about stall speed? Didn't think so.

[This message has been edited by droideka (edited November 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Umm.. you need to get out of your car, walk back to the stoplight, and pick up your tranny, along with the torque converter which probably fell out while you were brake-torquing your IS to 5K RPM's..

-Chris Y.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
The Stock stall speed of the Torque converter is 2850RPM +/-50. There is absolutely no way you can brake torque to 5K RPM. Maximum before you overcome the brakes will be about 2750RPM.

And even if you did get a TC that had a high enough stall speed to get you to 5K RPM, your car would not be streetable.

------------------
Muhammad I. Choudhury
Swift Racing Technologies
www.swift-racing.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Where are the Torque Converters in your website?

Originally posted by Swift Racing Technologies:
The Stock stall speed of the Torque converter is 2850RPM +/-50. There is absolutely no way you can brake torque to 5K RPM. Maximum before you overcome the brakes will be about 2750RPM.

And even if you did get a TC that had a high enough stall speed to get you to 5K RPM, your car would not be streetable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
revving to 4-5K while holding the brakes at a standstill and then releasing: this is how the car magazines do their testing to get the best time on an autotransmission. Go read the fine print on the road test summary page of CAr&Driver or any other mag. It is impossible to get the 0-60 time that they get if you don't do this. Is it good for car? Obviously no.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
you should read te fine print more carefully. sure they power brake but they don't do it up to 5k rpm okay"? maybe 2-3 but THAT'S IT.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Holdn the brake and rev up to 5krpm hmmm...you'll definitely chirp on 1st gear but your tranny is gonna get really pissed off at you, keep doing that daily. Loose your tranny when you get to 50,000. any questions?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by Master:
i have about 2200 miles on my car and i was wondering if it was ok to do burnouts at stoplights and stuff.

and when i make u turns i sometimes floor the gas just when i reach the apex of the turn and i kinda drift.

will it wreck my car more quickly or ??

[This message has been edited by Master (edited November 27, 2000).]
foo~

u must be on something if you think u can power brake at 5k rpm..
it aint possible bro..
da IS300 was designed by nerds wit PHD's...
they wouldnt design a car dat would tolerate such abuse...

late

·
Registered
59 Posts
mrclam, don't make up stuff. where does it say 2-3K? if you don't have proof, then just keep quiet. just because that's all your car can take doesn't mean it applies to all cars.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
When I race my brother (M-Coupe remember) and want a good start, I'll power brake like that, but I can only hold it up to 2500 rpm's or so. 5k is nuts, if not impossible.

Oh, on the burnouts and stuff, doesn't hurt the car unless you hit something. The tires take a beating though, I replaced two of mine within 9k miles.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited November 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wow, replaced tires at 9K, you must be powering that thing around! Good for you! I do not remember your post about racing your brother (short term memory lost in youth) How did you do?
Originally posted by webmaster:
When I race my brother (M-Coupe remember) and want a good start, I'll power brake like that, but I can only hold it up to 2500 rpm's or so. 5k is nuts, if not impossible.

Oh, on the burnouts and stuff, doesn't hurt the car unless you hit something. The tires take a beating though, I replaced two of mine within 9k miles.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
You CANNOT power brake the IS300 or any other street legal production auto car to 5000 RPM.
It is impossible, three things can happen:
1) Your engine will stall and die at about 2750RPM.
2) Your engine power will overcome the brakes and you will loose traction on the drivewheels and just burn you tires while not moving.
3) Your car will just sit there revving at about 2750 RPM and do nothing (everything will be at an equilibrium.

Those of you that "think" you can power brake your car to 5K RPM need to pinch yourselves and wake up and go drink some coffee or take a cold shower, and stop commenting on people that really know what they are talking about. (Not intending to flame anyone, just remember one thing we build race transmissions for the Lexus 5-speed autos and know exactly how it works).

Mild/Occational power brakeing is OK as long as you do not do it back to back constantly. It is always a good idea to let the tranny fluid cool down for at least 5 minutes after doing a burnout/power braking. The cool down period is considered normal low speed driving or just plain idling. Good luck and be safe.

------------------
Muhammad I. Choudhury
Swift Racing Technologies
www.swift-racing.com
[email protected]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by croddy:
Wow, replaced tires at 9K, you must be powering that thing around! Good for you!
I am not nice to my tires. My IS sees a lot of g-forces daily.

It also didn't help that the last two autox's I went to, I had the pressure too low and really chewed up the front tires.

I do not remember your post about racing your brother (short term memory lost in youth) How did you do?
It's an ongoing thing between him and I. His mcoupe will whip my ass - but I still beat him at the last autocross in my IS.

Now, once my Miata is running with 12psi (~220 rwhp @ 2300 lbs; hopefully before year end), we'll see who's boss. Or if I get my IS turbo'd someday...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
sigss shut the fuC|< up and know what you're talking about when you open your stupid azz mouth. there's no way in hell a stock car is going to powerbrake to 5k rpm, that's called idiocy. yeah, my car can't power brake PERIOD. i drive a stickshift. fyi, SP does supra mods so taht it can powerbrake near 5k but that's a special mod that is VERY RARELY seen. i know hwat i'm talking about in this situation so unless you do, i suggest you shut up

Originally posted by sigss:
mrclam, don't make up stuff. where does it say 2-3K? if you don't have proof, then just keep quiet. just because that's all your car can take doesn't mean it applies to all cars.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
22 Participants
shadoh6
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing