Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a few times when opening my trunk after driving that i smell a burning rubber odor. I have the 17's, is that really the tire burning up since they are high performance or is it the tire dressing? Have any of you smelt that burning smell?, and this is normal driving like not even over 50.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've smelled that burning smell! There was a plastic piece the covers the bottom of the IS, that was hanging and would rub the road. I had the dealer look at it and they replaced it for free!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hey,
I noticed today also a burning rubber smell... it seems to be coming from the rear wheel well area by the exhaust.

I tried peeping underneath, and from my vantage point, didn't see anything dragging or melting.

If it the tires? Or something around the exhaust? I couldn't tell.
Any Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
53 Posts
My wife went into the garage one night and noticed the smell and told me about it. Seemed to be coming from the exhasut, but can't be sure.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Its the exhaust....
I noticed this some time ago.
It doesn't matter if you've driven the car Hard or not. The exhaust pipe smells like rubber, or more like a "Hair Dryer"...

Im sure its just the New Guts in the Exhaust system....converter.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
There's nothing to fear. I have the IS200 and the smell that's coming from the exhaust is the catalytic converter in action. I had the same query and talked to my sales rep, and said that the smell comes after the catalytic converter kicks in.

cya

1 - 6 of 6 Posts