Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - question on a smell which I think is from the clutch.

One night I was driving home and smelled a burning odor almost like I was behind someone who just peeled out in front of me. Only problem, I was the lead car in the pack. OK, so I blew that one off.

Another night I'm passing someone and all of a sudden get hit with that same burning smell like brakes burning or burnt rubber. I pulled over and sure enough, the smell was out of my car. It was noticable in the engine compartment with the hood up and also from the small vent under the drivers windshield wiper with the hood closed.

My car had about 4K miles at the time of the second incident.

A search seems to indicate that this smell may be the new-car undercoat burning off but a friend of mine with an 02 IS says he has experienced the same problem and he thinks it has to do with the clutch.

Anyone had similar problems and been able to narrow down the source of the smell on their manual tranny IS?

·
Registered
826 Posts
my car was like that for the first like 2000 miles then the smell just never came back again. ( and yes I know how to drive stick and I was not riding the clutch it just smelled for no reason)

·
Registered
340 Posts
That used to happen to my car for the first 5k miles or so whenever I drove her hard. I followed the proper 1k mile break in procedure, then for the 2k of miles I kept it under 4krpms, after 4k miles I started to redline her here and there... the smell would occur once and a while but now with 21k miles no smell what soever, if anything she is faster and gets better epa.

just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks for the feedback all. Sounds like more of a breaking in issue with the car than a serious clutch problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts