Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the jamming of the in-dash changer caused by using burned CD's? my dealer told me to only use store-bought disks in the car because burned ones lead to the jamming people have been experiencing. any thoughts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thats a first that I heard, I only use burned CD's in my car
hehehee

On your CD's. does it have labels on it that you created yourself? If so, maybe its not sticking to the CD properly?

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Five of the six CD's in my changer right now are burned. The only one that isn't is Nelly Furtado. The only reason I bought that is because I think she is hot. 90 % of the CD's I play are burned. I have had my IS almost a year. Almost 20k miles (a lot of time listening to tunes).

My theory is as follows. Keep in mind, this is only a theory. I would hate to accuse any IS300.NET members of stupidity.
I'd bet the Villi that any jamming comes from inserting disks before the indicator light is green. My 2 cents...

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: LexArkana ]

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
wow lexus is working with the music industry to stop pirating CDs and mp3?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hope thats not the case. If so too bad I dont wanna hear that my player cant play burnt CD's, there CD's and are meant to be played in any newer Cd player so I say FIX IT Lexus. All my CD's in my car are burned, not b/c I'm a CD theif, but I'm weird I buy the original burn it and keep the burned copy in my car and original in the house so I dont have to remember to bring my CD's in the house if I want to listen to them. So screw them they need to make another head unit... Not that this is any answear to your ques but just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
301 Posts
It is written in the owners manual not to use CD-Rs (burned CDs). I can't remember the exact reason why, but it was something about the CD edge not being "perfect".

However, I've been playing burned CD's without any problems. As GMoney stated, if burned CDs are a problem, it's most likely caused by the CD labels.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
not having a is300 my comment might not mean chit, LexArkana is correct, i was at the dealer and was going for a test drive, i brought a cd so i could hear the toons. The salesman hit the button and stuck the cd in, no wait, rammed the cd in, boom error 3 hmm i was like fock that!!!! He was all red. Then he got out of the car, i hit eject once and waited, out came my cd. i said well this is a chit cd anyways lets try once more. I hit the button and waited till the light came on then i stuck the cd in.... Later on i hit eject and out came my cd!!!!

POINT = take ur time and slow down!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Originally posted by merlin3008:
[QB]is the jamming of the in-dash changer caused by using burned CD's? my dealer told me to only use store-bought disks in the car because burned ones lead to the jamming people have been experiencing. any thoughts?

This might only be a theory but I've had the same problem with BURNED CD's. I stopped using them all together. I have not had one jammed CD since I stopped using the burned CD's. My 0.02

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
I know it has nothing to do w/ burned CD's... it's all about the love you give your car when inserting the cds. If you just jam it in there, it's going to get pissed and jam. If you ease it in slowly, the car will thank you.

I actually suffered my first jam this weekend on the long drive home from VT (yes, I'm still skiing in May) and I heard this scary grinding noise... I hit eject w/ no luck, then took the advice from someone who posted about htis a long time ago and nailed the player w/ my fist then hit eject. SUCCESS!!!

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: s0yb0mb ]

·
Registered
631 Posts
In terms of the external physical form, there is not a lot of difference between pressed and burned CDs. Pressed are plastic and burned are polycarbonate with a lacquer surface, but other than that, they're the same, and for a reason.

Lexus is probably just trying to cover their collective arses in regards to CDs, figuring that pressed CDs are standard, but burned could have paper labels or other irregularities. A properly made burned CD should behave the same as a pressed CD, given that the player doesn't have any problems with the particular dye used in the CD-R.

I burn about 100 CDs/month, to be used in a variety of environments. I've never heard of anyone having problems with them. Then again, I use a particular brand, one that you don't find at Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: sacremon ]

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There's no truth at all about the player only jamming when using CD-R's. That simply isn't true. The first (and hopefully the last) time my player jammed, I was using "store bought" CD's.

Right now, my magazine is filled with CD-R's. I don't use sticky labels. And I use name brand CD-R's...

Scott.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Alas...more subscribers to the "Premature Insertion Theory"...

If you insert prematurely, do not be surprised if your disc does not ejac...err...eject...

·
Registered
41 Posts
my friends always say playing burned cds on my playstation will ruin the lens, i've been playing my psx with burned cds for like 4 years now. i don't see any logic about jamming your cd player with plain copied cds. unless your stupid.

·
8,880 Posts
I don't think it's burned CDs or "Premature Insertion". The reason you hear the grinding noise is because CD is being dropped into the slot without being slowed down after spinning. That happens if the CD player does not recognize a CD being inserted. The check is performed by the same laser used to read the CD. That's where the problem is. I'm pretty sure it's a fluke on the manufacturer's (Fujitsu Ten) side.
I use burned CDs all the time. I do get Error 2? every once in a while. No biggie. I always get my CDs back.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
your dealership is trying to BS with you merlin. one of the magazine's (dont remember which, maybe motortrend?) long term vehicle, had the same problem..i think they said it was due to faulty system, nothing to do with wat kind of disk.

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you do a search on this topic you will find that some of the folks who have had stuck cd's were regular store bought ones.

I too have a fully loaded changer of burned cd's and have not had a problem yet.

Knock on wood.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have had no problems with CD-Rs in mine.

A few of the people who had "jam" problems accidently tried to insert two CDs (stacked on top of each other) at the same time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts