Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone...i was wondering..well im a deejay..and everytime i make one of my mixes..and play it in my car(stock system) there always seems to be a tendency for the player to skip tremendously. I mean i cant even play a mix of mine in my car...also..this happens to some of the burnt cds i make...like of random songs?..has this happened to anyone? and can someone tell me what is going on and how to fix it? i went to the dealer before about it, but they said that they could not notice any difference. Well be safe yall..and hit me back...

julian

·
15,322 Posts
i have noticed a few things;
1. some brands of cd tend to skip, from slight clipping noise in the background to a pause and play effect, also giving error messages one time while playing perfectly later.
2. sometimes lower quality or bad recordings have imperfections that arent audible in mp3 format, but when burned and played on the IS300 stereo, it tends to really stand out, maybe because the system is so clear...
3. scratched cds, esp burned ones, can be pretty bitchy at actin up and skipping, clipping or pause and play...

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Quality of the blanks has a lot to do with it. I have a stack of bulk silver/blue disks that don't play in ANY cd player I've tried. I have some Dysans that don't work as Audio CD's either. Sony and Memorex (the 80min ones) work fine. But the best ones, that I've never had a problem with in any player are Verbatim (My favorite are the blank white ones.)

Here's what I usually order...

[ May 09, 2001: Message edited by: webmaster ]

·
Registered
631 Posts
Some CD players don't like certain dyes. There are three or four dyes used in making CD-R - cyanine (medium blue), phthalocyanine (light green), azometallic (dark blue) and a near clear one (may be derived from phthalocyanine, don't know). The cheap CD-R's tend to be made from cyanine and azometallic. These are the ones that may be gold on top and green on bottom (gold + medium blue = green) or silver/dark blue. Some car systems (and home and club) have a hard time with them. I only use phthalocyanine disks, and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having been a long time computer guru in this topic....

Everything the previous guys have said about the media type/quality is very very true. You just have to find the type that will work for your situation.

However, if you want to continue using your current media, try burning your media at a lower speed. You didn't mention what speed your burning at... but you'll find that if you burn at let's say 8X...try burning at 4x or even 2x. Audio systems that are really sensitive to burned media tend to track better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you guys...which one is the best cd-r out there..for audio ...also that i wont have those skips..??...also..does really burning at a slower speed help alot?..i tried it and there was no difference

ju

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
i use cheap ass compusa cds...you know, the 100 pack that costs 15 bucks...i burn at 8x...my friends never had problems with it in their car systems, and i've never had probs w/ it on my cd players at home.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The newer the audio equipment, the less likely it will have problems with CDR's. The audio manufacturers realize that CDR's are becoming commonplace, and that it would be good for them to make sure that their equipment works with them.

The funny thing is, I know of some professional level equipment (Genimi) that has problems with certain pressed CDs (ones that have an added data track), but if you copy the CD without the data track to a CDR, it has no problems. Then again, Gemini's suck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I only have one burned CD that every once in a while skips, but I've found the fix is pretty easy. Just eject the CD, then insert it again, then it works fine. Other than that, I really only play mix CDs that I've created and I haven't had any problems at all. The CD mentioned above wasn't made by me but by someone else so that might explain the difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great topic!

I've been burning cd's for years now and it's good to see that the prices on cd-burners/media has come down enough for the avg. person to be able to enjoy this.

I'm currently using an HP 8x/4x/32x CD burner and TDK media, which I usually pick up from Costco. I've burnt roughly 200 audio cd's at 8x speed and never have had a problem with skipping or oddities while playing back on either the stock IS300 deck, or my Alpine double-din. The only problems I've encountered was that the cdr media tends to scratch rather easily, although it's cheap to replace when they do.

Hint for those of you who are looking into purchasing a cd-burner: Buy a Plextor or an HP, an 8x drive will be fine. Typically, slower burns will give you deeper grooves in the media and better playback, although a lot of this depends on your drive/media selection. I did notice a slight difference in quality between a 1x burn and an 8x burn, so I would burn 1x audio for high-end non-stock audio systems.

By the way, saw a link yesterday for 100 yamaha cdr media w/ jewel cases for $15. I called the company and they mentioned that it's only certified for 4x, but based on internal testing by them, that they've used it over 10x speeds w/o problems. For those of you who want good quality from slow burns anyway, this might be a good way to go. Here's the link if you are interested:
Model: Yamaha 4x Gold W/ Jewel cases 100 Pack

I'll post in a few days what my experience is w/ the media with audio cd's in my lexus is300.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
oneeyejack
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing