Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys.

I had an idea to build my own turbo or supercharger kit. I want to run at low boost and make around 280-300 rwhp. I want to stay away from buying a kit from like SRT or TE or any of those. I want to sort of build my kit gradually and not buy everything all at once. I pretty much know what is needed in a turbo and/or supercharger kit However, i do not know where to obtain these parts separately.

Anyway, would this be a good idea? Would it be cheaper than purchasing a kit? If anyone knows where any websites where i could buy these parts separately or if anyone has anything for sale, please PM me.I plan to install this myself once all of the parts are purchased.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for fuel management with for low boost.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for the help in advance.

Thank you,

Mike

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Mike

You are going to spend a lot more than what you can imagine

PM Maxxpsi and ask about his "DIY" kit

I mean it ran, and good just ask price

I would get the new kit from TE

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
JaysonMFK said:
Maxxpsi's kit was nice just not a fan of his EMS.

yeah it was nice, got to work on it with him one weekend, sad its not there anymore :blush:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMPRIMIS,

I thank you for the quick reply. It sounds like hunting down all of the parts might be more of a hastle than it is worth. I just thought i would be saving money. It is probably better just to have a kit that is deisnged to work together.

i will PM maxxpsi alittle later. I just took a look at the TE S1 kit. I think that is the new one at least. 4500 is not bad. I would definately do the install myself so i could save money in that aspect.

I am curious about one thing that i never come across in my research. The options. Which things are actually essential to have a reliable kit. I have a 2001 with 32k on it. (prime for turbo :) ) With this kit would the transmission cooler be necessary? Also, the prewired ECU harness would probably be a must for just the ease. But how about the pre-tapped oil pan along with the transmission coller and the high flow cat?

If i bought this kit, i would most likely not uprgrade anything for a while. With just the kit would it be reliable to run, and run good?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
547 Posts
Alright. Yeah as Jason (IMPRIMIS) stated, it's no easy task locating all of the proper parts, much less making 100% sure they are compatible with another.

In my opinion, from what I've read here on this board and seen from the locals here, the Toyomoto Stage 1 supercharger is about the best supercharger to purchase to get within your "required" horsepower wishes. Also, to me (and some others), it's the best supercharger (stage 1) with the most research done to make sure it harms your engine in the most minimal ways.

Also, I know the ECU harness is a pretty complicated hard thing to do for some - that's basically why a lot of people get the whole thing done by someone else. They can do the manual labor (i.e. attaching stuff), but the wiring and stuff can get complicated fast.

With the TES1 kit you can run and run pretty well. Just expect a little more maintenance than the ToyoS1 kit. Also, a good thing about the TES1 kit is that I know it's got a good foundation for taking it to TES2.

Hope this helps.

sISp

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hrm, so the TES1 kit would run with like stock exhaust until i bought one and other stock parts besides the kit?

·
Registered
547 Posts
dromike15 said:
hrm, so the TES1 kit would run with like stock exhaust until i bought one and other stock parts besides the kit?
I wouldn't recommend running stock exhaust - but you can do what you want. I'd definitely say wait a few extra weeks so you can buy the L-Tuned or HKS. And there's a guide on here if you search this forum about what parts to purchase along side going boost.

sISp

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks man + rep do you happen to know where that guide is or is it a sticky?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
dromike15 said:
Whats up guys.

I had an idea to build my own turbo or supercharger kit. I want to run at low boost and make around 280-300 rwhp. I want to stay away from buying a kit from like SRT or TE or any of those. I want to sort of build my kit gradually and not buy everything all at once. I pretty much know what is needed in a turbo and/or supercharger kit However, i do not know where to obtain these parts separately.

Anyway, would this be a good idea? Would it be cheaper than purchasing a kit? If anyone knows where any websites where i could buy these parts separately or if anyone has anything for sale, please PM me.I plan to install this myself once all of the parts are purchased.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for fuel management with for low boost.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for the help in advance.

Thank you,

Mike
As others have said already, it will be more of a hassle to part out your own kit. Then you will have to fabricate your own intercooler piping and a mounting bracket for the supercharger if you go that route.

I'd go with the TE S1 or S2.

When are you planning on getting boost? It'd be nice to actually have a turbo IS in CT. I've never seen one at least.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, im definately going to go the TE S1 kit. It leaves plenty of room for upgrades. As for when im going boost. I my original thought would be by june. But i think im going to take my time saving up enough money to do it right with exhaust and tuning guages and etc. So my planned install time would be my winter break from college of 06. I dont plan to get rid of my IS any time soon so i have plenty of time. Maybe ill never sell it haha.

So plan on a boosted IS in CT in fall of 06. God i cant wait. Wish i could get a loan right now lol.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
to give you a basic idea of parts and costs, take a look at
http://www.lolinternet.com/car.xls

now, thats something im pricing myself for about 550 - 600RWHP, but it will give you a basic idea that building a kit isnt cheap ;)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are you installing that yourself? Looks good. but if you bought a kit, it would be alittle cheaper correct?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well I am building my own kit, and I'm almost done too. I wasn't go to do this until I had it done and installed but here's a break down all prices are including shipping.

John's Turbo kit
Used Turbonetics 60-1 Hifi $500
Used Toyomoto Tubular Manifold $435
New SPL IS300 Intercooler kit w/ HKS SSQS $1450
Used Greddy eManage w/ all sensors & CD and TE Black box $440
Used 6x 440 RC injector $210
Used Down pipe $100
New Tial 38mm Wastegate $200
New Turbo Oil Lines kit $240
New Walbro 255lph fuel pump $100
Used TT rods & pistons $135 (I think it was a steal for this price)
New APR head studs $145
New TT Head Gasket $135
New TT Piston Rings $165
But I know I am missing some vacuum hoses and gaskets

Over all I think it should be a solid kit.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Opps... I forgot I am running the down pipe to a HP Racing Y-pipe to a Tanabe B-pipe and out a HKS Hyper. I know it's not 3", but I figured I'll wait for good deal on a 3"all the way.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
hey blackhole how much was the te blackbox? i got a split sec esc1 but i'm not sure if it'll work or not

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Blackhole, what about labor and installation for you're head and bottom end?? and the overall installation of the kit?? Price?

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
yeap, installing mine myself. As for if its cheaper or not... thats debateable ;) Reason im pricing the kit out, is that way i can get everything specifically the way i want it. many, many people do turbos and hit the strip. Im not going to be eating the strip up. Im tuning the car for tracks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well I bought the Greddy eManage, TE black box, and RC 440cc from TOYOBOOST for $650.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts