Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! So, i decided to go the V8 american route like DEDICATED-MAT to do my next IS300 project. After being in the boosted route for 3 years and have completed the last upgrade with a PT-6765 with 650whp-600wtq, i was thinking : ''Its enough!''. I want to build a reliable, brute and fast motor that will be suited for the IS300. When i saw Dedicated-mat LS1 build (thanks Mat for your inspiration) i was ready to move.

I found a brand new (200km) LS3 V8 6,2L from a 2010 Corvette for a decent price. I've searched in the corvette forums for a month an decided to go the N/A route build. So, CAI, big cam, Long tube headers, catback and a custom tune with HPTuner (its the most beautiful thing in life!!! Its the OEM ecu that is reprogramable trought HPTuner software).

With theses mods, corvettes runs an average 10.80 @ 130mph ET times. With this new motor, my car will be 175 pounds lighter. Since our IS300's weight the same as the corvette, i'll be a little lighter than theses. All N/A !!! ...and reliable.

The 2JZ is out of the car at this time and i've done pretty much all the necessary wiring job. The new motor will run with is own GM ECU and engine harness.

Will put the LS3 in the car in about 3-4 week.

I'll keep you updated...............

·
Registered
876 Posts
definitely want to see alot of pictures with this please!!

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
In for pics.

·
Registered
110 Posts
beautiful build man, i was thinking about the benefits of an LS3 please post as many pics as you can...what transmission are you planning on running?...oh and not to get off topic but isnt the LS9 in the ZR1 basically an LS3 with built internals????...anyway good luck on the build. cant wait to see an update

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is my next build also...I'm exhausted with boosted apps, time to go NA and reliable LOL.

BTW I'm fixing to start pulling a motor out of a 98 328is to also do a LS3 swap also...customer just confirmed tonight =]

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
In for pics and other updates. I always joke with my buddy that if I ever pop my 2JZ motor, I'm going to swap in a LS3 and put a procharger on it. :D

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
With theses mods, corvettes runs an average 10.80 @ 130mph ET times. With this new motor, my car will be 175 pounds lighter. Since our IS300's weight the same as the corvette, i'll be a little lighter than theses. All N/A !!! ...and reliable.
Everything except this.

Our cars might weigh as much as a Corvette when we remove the motor, but they are NO WHERE near a Corevette's weight.

LS3 Vette - ~3200lbs without driver. 2 seater car made of fiberglass, aluminum chassis

IS300 ~ 3550lbs. 4 seater, sheet metal body and steel chassis (i would imagine).

You should be near the low 11s with a good suspension and some wide drag radials.

I'm HELLA jealous, great build!

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
LS3 Vette - ~3200lbs without driver. 2 seater car made of fiberglass, aluminum chassis

IS300 ~ 3550lbs. 4 seater, sheet metal body and steel chassis (i would imagine).
You get this from where? I've weighed my car before, and it was a tip over 3300lbs in it with my 190lb fat ass in the seat, and that was when i first turbo'd it. I'll go ahead and weigh it again now that its gutted out and down to 1 seat, when i get it going in a few weeks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How are you guys planning to mount the lsx in the bay? Custom mounts? I haven't seen any updates from DGRfab on their mounts so I'm curious how I'd go about getting a set made.

·
Registered
105 Posts
IS300 curb weight is listed as 3255 lbs (MT) / 3285 lbs (AT)
Corvette curb weights are listed as 3300 (GS), 3175 (Z06), 3350 (ZR1)

So the weights are close when you consider the error margins for added/deleted options. But weight is just one factor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You going to run the T56 behind that thing? What kind of power can the IS rear/axles handle?
Post up some build pics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
x2 I was wondering what drivetrain you will be using with the LS3?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
You get this from where? I've weighed my car before, and it was a tip over 3300lbs in it with my 190lb fat ass in the seat, and that was when i first turbo'd it. I'll go ahead and weigh it again now that its gutted out and down to 1 seat, when i get it going in a few weeks.
3300lbs with 200 lbs in it?! Are the IS chassis really that light ~3100lbs? If so, why is the Supra ~3700? 6 speed and some twins add that much?

I'd love to believe they are only 3100, but I just can't wrap my mind around it.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts